LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tube??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tube??

ok so i was going to lunch today was just sitting waiting for a buddy to come out of the office and my car just sputtered and died.

so i crank it again and it cranks to the sky like the starter is working, it is just not getting something im thinking either fuel or spark?( opti was just replaced literally 5-6k miles ago. if its my opti im driving my car off a cliff and calling insurance, but ok back to reality ha, there is a tube thats black and has a circular peice on it like a washer around a pencil is almost how it looks and the outside of the 'washer' peice its blue and its coming thru with the fuel lines and it looks like it was connected to something but now no longer is.

is that some sort of vaccum line for the fuel? or is it something that doesn't need to be connected?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't really know what your talking about, could you get a picture of it?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

well i could but it wouldnt be till much later. right now im at work and i dont have a camera or anyway to post the picture. its a black tube with a black plastic ring thats blue on the outside, its coming from right around the ABS module thing on the front drivers side.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

opti vent? that is only line I have with anything blue on it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Well Its The Same Color Blue But Its A Large Circle About An 1" In Diamtere And Its On The Black Tube Like It Has A Small Filter In It Or Its A Vaccum Line I Dont Know? Its Right Down Between The Fuse Box And The Intake. It Has Two Other Connectors Coming Out The Flex Plastic Cover.

I Dont Know Man Effin Damn Car.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

may be a stupid question, are you sure it has gas?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

haha well i would hope so? i guess i didnt check the gauge at lunch, but i know i had over a quarter when i left this morning and it only is like 12 miles to my work, but still good idea i will check that here in a few minutes, other things ive checked have been the fuses they all seem to be fine and none look blown.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tube you are talking about sounds like the vacuum line for the opti. It runs to a fitting on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

may be a stupid question, are you sure it has gas?
Good call. These cars often run out of gas when the gauge still says as much as a 1/4 tank. It may be out.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Yea ive run out a few times when the gauge is at a quarter, i just watch the trip meter now, fill up every 230 miles to be safe
Old 09-05-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto
The tube you are talking about sounds like the vacuum line for the opti. It runs to a fitting on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

Good call. These cars often run out of gas when the gauge still says as much as a 1/4 tank. It may be out.
True, Fbody fuel gauges suck. And the only thing I could think of thats blue under the hood stock is the opti vent tube (off the top of my head).
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

HAHA OK SO GUYS FEEL FREE TO GET A GOOD LAUGH AT ME TODAY.

so my battery isnt secured down on the front and back, because one of the two clips broke, so at lunch when i was waiting for my buddy, something must have jumped around cause it kills the car for a second and i usually just have to pop the hood wiggle the battery and it will fire right back up. so what im thinking happened was when that happened the car still ran for a second, and must have kept dumping gas into the cylinder while there was no power for the spark. so i popped the hood wiggled the battery and the power came back and when i tried to crank it, it must have been flooded.

the only reason i think that is becuase i just went out like a minute ago after the car had sat for about an hour and it fired right up.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not really something to laugh at, you really dident have time to look at it before..

I give you credit for noticing that pretty quick.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Not really something to laugh at, you really dident have time to look at it before..

I give you credit for noticing that pretty quick.
HAHA Yea thanks man, i just always get so frustrated when my car brakes down at first that i dont sit back and think of the simplest of things.

but my battery will die every now and then if it gets shaken or something, and usually all i gotta do to fix it is pop the hood wiggle the battery and wa la the car starts!

well im guessing this time as the battery started to die, it had enough power to pump fuel into the cylinder but not create spark, thus leaving excess fuel in the cylinders. so after sitting some of that had gone by by and boom thing started right up with a roar.

thanks everyone!

its friday!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats right! Drinks anyone?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

HAHA I'd be down if i wasn't on the complete other side of the states haha! Massachusets to AZ is quiet some distance!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, battery cables can get loose, but not cause a "I have no power" issue :\ I've had it happen to me sometimes. I've ALSO had the "out of gas" problem! Went out for the night with 1/4 tank, came back and messed with some dweeb in a Civic on the highway (what can I say, the girls got a kick out of it!) and when I dropped them off and was on the way home... KER CLUNK! Empty >_> First time running out of a gas in a street vehicle (I have in my Jeep, but that's not quite street legal (military, 24v, can't find bulbs)).

NEVAR AGAIN!! I know when it's @ 1/4 to watch the gauge like a hawk!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto

only black tube with the blue thing your describing that I know of is the opti vent. Still need to check on that and rehook it, if that is what it is. As for fuel gauges, mine goes below E before running out. Although, I notice in almost all of these cars the needles stays above 3/4 tank for a long time and then once it starts falling it, really goes quick. hehe... I find my trip meter more reliable to determine when I'll be needing gas most of the time.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this what you're talking about? It's the opti connector, just like everyone is talking about.

Originally Posted by hyperzone
...Although, I notice in almost all of these cars the needles stays above 3/4 tank for a long time and then once it starts falling it, really goes quick. hehe... I find my trip meter more reliable to determine when I'll be needing gas most of the time.
The reason is the shape of the tank. The bottom of the tank tapers off much smaller than the upper portion. The fuel guage is a level indication so it shows you what the gasoline LEVEL is, not a volume amount. 1/4 tank means the level is 1/4 of the height of the tank, not 1/4 of ~15 gallons. Because the volume amount in the lower 1/2 is much less than the upper 1/2 of the tank you see the needle do what it does.

Quick Reply: tube??