LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Leaking From Everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leaking From Everywhere

Removed the pulley and saw that oil had blown from behind the timing chain cover, assumed that the rest of the oil flowing down is from the heads or even the manifold leaking, and my opti is FULL of oil. I'm now at at lose on what to do with the car?? There is oil leaking from every part of the motor. It has 150k on it, should i keep fighting the good battle and fix these problems, or pull the motor and get a fresh one?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha...man have your motor totaly rebuilt...this isnt good at all...sucks to be in this position.. was there once..well not this bad but took out my motor..sry man..really though just start fresh. or you could sell me your ride haha?? where you from? lmfao..jk
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being it is leaking from everywhere it may just be worn out and you have a considerable amount of blowby. I had a stock LT1 motor that was like this. Does the dipstick ever blow out?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could just pull it down and regasket it yes, but if your losing that much oil then it would be a good idea if you pulled it down and had your bearings changed and things freshened up..also check your cylinder walls for pitting to make sure it doesnt need bored over a bit...i think most will agree with me and tell you to pull it down if you are leaking oil at all
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Being it is leaking from everywhere it may just be worn out and you have a considerable amount of blowby. I had a stock LT1 motor that was like this. Does the dipstick ever blow out?
Dipstick is ok...I tracked down most of the leaking to the tube not being screwed into the valve cover. When I pulled the opti, there was a small hose that was attached, maybe for vaccum?, but it was full of oil and my throttle body has sucked oil into it from where ever that tube was tied into...this is turning into a nightmare
Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea that is a vac hose..well one is your vent for your opti and the other is a vac hose...and no you shouldnt have oil in there...man this sounds like a big nightmare..im sorry and goodluck to you bro..
Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Oil down the opti.. I do believe there's an oil seal around the water pump drive spline that can leak oil like a **** down there behind the water pump, and its right over top of the opti (apparently some people have issues with ripping the seal skirt on installation).
I'd also check the opti seal that fits just over top of the cam behind the opti itself.
I've changed my opti twice on my z28, advice I can give on replacing: ive taken them apart both times before putting them on and rtv'd the damn corners in case it gets drenched, and the first one lasted over 75k miles.

If its leaking oil from all the seals i'd check out your crankcase pressure too. All of the seals on the front of the motor can be changed fairly easy except for the actual front timing cover gasket. But even that can be accomplished by loosening some motor mounts and jacking the motor up a bit so you can get some pan clearance to drop it.

PM me if you need help, I've completely resealed the front of my motor with it in the car and as a matter of fact I just re-gasketed my intake manifold yesterday, and that's a real PITA.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking From Everywhere