LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt4 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt4 conversion?

hey guys so i have been doing a lot of research and have learned the pros and cons to all types of heads and whatnot. my question i have it, if i went with the edelbrock lt4 conversion (with roller rockers, hot cam and all the other stuff with the edelbrock kit), and had the intake manifold and heads ported, is there a basic idea of how much hp i could gain from this?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Well the LT4's were rated at 330hp so i'd say with a good head porting you could make near 400 to the fly wheel.

but honestly, not to cut you down, but you havent obviously done very much research, because if you did you would realise that having the stock heads ported and matched with a cam from a vender such as LLyod Elliot, that you could make near 400 wheel horse which is a significant amount more, for a great deal cheaper.

he has been making Head/Cam/Intake packages for our LT1's for quiet some time now and has each component matched to each other so you arent just buying a gang of parts and slapping them all together and hoping for the best, he has different packages also each of which im almost positive will make more power and be cheaper than just the LT4 conversion kit.

once you do some serious reading and research you will find the LT4 stuff is just plain a bad deal, sure then you can say you technically have an LT4 but who cares what kinda motor it is when youre shooting for power right!?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have looked into tha, keep in mind my heads have 105k on them so who knows the condition they're in right?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Launching!

advanced induction is another good company for porting too
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I dont mean to come off sounding like a jerk at all but you really haven't done enough research if your looking at the Edelbrock LT4 kit. IMO your best bet is to get a heads/cam package from Lloyd Elliot. Advanced Induction is another good company as well, you can't compete with the amount of power that their packages put out for the $$$. Throwing in a hot cam with ported heads is just leaving tons of power out on the table, that cam is quite out of date nowadays and a custom grind say Lloyd or Ai would squeeze the most power and potential from your setup when matched with their heads. Your heads could be in fine shape, if not you could just pick up a set of used ones for $150-250.

The LE2 package for example is $1850
The Edelbrock Heads are I think $1600?? for both plus the LT4 Kit plus the price to have the heads ported and your still not on the same power level with over $1000 more spent.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I dont mean to come off sounding like a jerk at all but you really haven't done enough research if your looking at the Edelbrock LT4 kit. IMO your best bet is to get a heads/cam package from Lloyd Elliot. Advanced Induction is another good company as well, you can't compete with the amount of power that their packages put out for the $$$. Throwing in a hot cam with ported heads is just leaving tons of power out on the table, that cam is quite out of date nowadays and a custom grind say Lloyd or Ai would squeeze the most power and potential from your setup when matched with their heads. Your heads could be in fine shape, if not you could just pick up a set of used ones for $150-250.

The LE2 package for example is $1850
The Edelbrock Heads are I think $1600?? for both plus the LT4 Kit plus the price to have the heads ported and your still not on the same power level with over $1000 more spent.
haha ever better put than i could, but i think the fact is that either way the LT4 kit is a huge waste of money if your doing it to make more power. sure you will make more power but for the $ you could make much much more power, infact you could probably buy an LE2 plus a nitrous kit to spray as well for the cost of just the LT4 kit in total.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

the lt4 kit isnt a good value. You can port you stock heads, get a custom cam and make way more hp for less money.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Teching In

buy you some nice lpe heads and comp cam.