Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

04 gto 6spd problem. sponsers feel free to step in

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 gto 6spd problem. sponsers feel free to step in

so the past few days the clutch pedal has been feeling weaker and weaker. well when i left work it refused to go into reverse and was hard to get into first. after i got going it was a lil better. get home check the fluid and it was empty. so i put in some dot4 fluid. and pump it up and it was back to feeling good. you could tell it still needed blead but it was better. so i drive it to my friends work for his lunch and the car did fine. when i went to leave it was soft again and then just went away completely. still had fluid in the resivor. got the car started in second gear and drove it home avoiding all stop signs and did maybe 20 mph. any suggestions? i figure ill start at the slave cylinder and see what i find there
Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, you got some air down in the line. Just bleed the hell out of it and you should be good.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

yea i know it needs blead. but the fluid had to go somewhere
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with a thorough bleed. Gravity bleed the master first, then the whole system through the bleeder screw.

To gravity bleed the master, unplug the braided line from the slave, pop the cap off the reservoir, and then with the braided line pointed towards the ground, use a small phillips head to pop open the little black valve on the end of the line and let the fluid flow out. Every 20 seconds or so let it close and go check the reservoir, topping it off when needed to keep it full. After about a half a bottle of this, plug it back in and gravity bleed the whole system using the slave bleeder screw in a similar fashion. Pump the hell out of the pedal afterwards to make sure you have a solid feel in the pedal.

Assuming the fluid is staying in the lines now, this should take care of your problems. If it keeps disappearing and getting soft, though, you have a leak somewhere. What master and slave are you using? I'm not sure what they make for the GTOs if it uses the same/similar master, but the McLeods are known for starting to leak after time and need a rebuild.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

ill do that tonight hopefully. its the stock setup. the car only has 21k on it. im sure i wont get out of this cheap.