Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans making noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans making noise

i have an ls7 clutch and a stock t-56. it makes a noise that is kind of hard to explain. it does it mostly when the clutch is engaging in the lower gears, like 1st or 2nd. when it's in gear, and the rpms are still low, it starts to go away but i think it's still doing it. it sounds kind of like a rough spinning sound, like a bearing or something, but i don't know. it doesn't do it when the clutch is disengaged, and is most evedent when it is engaging. i thought of the pilot bearing first, but wouldn't it make the sound when the clutch is engaged or disengaged? thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

do you have a pro 5.0 shifter? mine makes noise too. i only notice it when the windows are up and radio off. seems like every gear makes a different noise. lol. they say its because unlike the stock shifter, it doesnt have that bushing on the stick, so the noise resonates more. i just put my LS7 clutch in and the tranny makes the same noises as it did with the stock clutch. they do sell a set of foam "gaskets" that they say gets rid of some of the noise. but what i did was just let the RTV harden 10-15 minutes before putting the shifter on. see if it works. but from what i understand is the noise is fairly common with shifters.

also when i did the clutch i did do a new pilot bearing, and slave with throwout bearing. so dont worry about those.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes noise in neutral clutch engaged (pedal released) and goes away when the pedal is depressed it is most likely the pilot bearing. If it makes noise as you are depressing or releasing the clutch it is most likely the throw out bearing.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its a fairly new clutch and breaking in, it is possible that the nosie you hear is a launch / burst rattle. That is the excitation of gears due to the chattering affect of the clutch apply. You can affect the rate of this rattle by actuating the clutch faster. It is worse with a new clutch that has not yet seated in & should improve. It is also much worse with an aftermarket shifter( as was said above) or upper handle. The reason you don't hear it in the higher numerical gears is that the clutch apply has less affect on the gears as the ratio steps decrease. If it is not a new clutch, you may have to live with it.If the different appy rate does nothing, you may have a throw out bearing concern( also said above)
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

the clutch has been broken in for a while and the noise is only when going into gear, and when it's in gear. at least that's when it's most noticable. if it does it in neutal, i haven't noticed it. if i knew the noise wouldn't lead to something bigger, i couldn't care less, but i don't want it to snowball and cause more problems. what kind of damage could a bad throw out bearing cause? and thanks for the help guys.