Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch slipping or tire spin?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch slipping or tire spin?

Well about 3 weeks ago I was on the highway beating on the car a little bit and when I shifted into 3 I had the clutch hydraulics stick on me and the clutch roasted bad enough that 5 minutes later when I parked the car you could smell clutch very well. Ever since then I've been paranoid thinking the clutch is slipping and every once and a while you do smell clutch after I get on it and then park it. Info on the car: it's a bolt on ls1 putting down 333RWHP and it's going through a stock clutch with about 45K miles on it. Here is a video to show what it sounds like. If you don't want to watch all of it, fast forward to the 1 minute mark because that's when I run through the gears and you can hear it when I shift into 2nd.
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=45860631
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't watch the video. But, if you smell burnt clutch, there's no doubt your clutch is slipping.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw it in 6th gear at 25mph and gun it. if the revs increase big time, your clutch is slipping
Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with above, smell = slip.

Sounded like a slip, the rpm went up quick after you let off the clutch then sounded like it dropped again for accelerating at a normal rate.

If the tires were braking loose, usually you'd have the rear shimmy itself a bit. With a complete suspension, the car will usually fight it and go straight, but it does break loose and if you get on it harder from an even slower speed or roll, the kick out will be more dramatic.

If the clutch is slipping, that won't be present as much, I dunno how to describe it but clutch slip gives off the same feel to me as being on waves in a boat, when it picks up into the air off a wave you get a moment when the propeller isn't pushing you forward so acceleration is reduced, then as soon as it gets back in it kicks forward again. For some people it will generate motion sickness. The best indicator is looking at the speedo vs tach, the speedo will move up in spurts and the tach will "spike" up in steps during the slip. Also if you are racing, you will see the your opponent (if similar power) make gains on you during the slip.

that's basically how my LS1 clutch felt before I replaced it with the LS7 clutch. I've put more miles on the LS7 clutch than my LS1 and still holding well.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure from the sounds of it your clutch is slipping.

I would put it in fourth at around 35mph and roll into the throttle, if the rpm's climb and the car doesn't speed up, your clutch is toast.

BTW, if you are in the market for a clutch take a look at our lineup, we have something for everyone and one of the best warranties in the industry.

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000

www.monsterclutches.com

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping or tire spin?