Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 Clutch Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Ls7 Clutch Kit Questions

I WENT WITH THE LS7 CLUTCH KIT AND LS2 FLYWHEEL FOR THE z AND USED THE STOCK STYLE SLAVE CYLINDER AND WAS WONDERING IF THAT COULD HAVE BEEN THE REASON MY CAR BROKE DOWN. AMBER FROM SSI SUGGESTED I GET AN ADJUSTABLE SLAVE FOR THE LS7 KIT CUZ THE STOCK ONE MAY HAVE NOT BEEN ENGAGING THE CLUTCH PROPERLY.

TO START OFF THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED... KEEP IN MIND THAT I REPLACED THE CLUTCH, SLAVE, MASTER CYLINDER, AND EVEN THE SHIFTER. EVERYTHING WAS FRESH WHEN I PUT THE NEWLY REBUILT TRANS ON THE CAR. THEN LESS THAN A MONTH LATER DRIVING HOME FROM SAN ANTONIO...

1. 6TH GEAR STARTED SCRATCHING AND WOULDN'T GO IN
2. 30 MINUTES LATER 5TH GEAR STARTS TO DO THE SAME AND EVEN GOT STUCK IN GEAR A FEW TIMES
3. THEN THE REST OF THE GEARS WOULD LOCK IN PLACE, I COULD PUT IT IN 1ST, 2ND, BUT ONCE I GOT TO 3RD AND 4TH IT WOULD LOCK IN PLACE. AND EVEN MADE THE CAR DIE DOWN. I COULDN'T PULL THE GEAR OUT AND IT SMELT LIKE CLUTCH.
5. I GOT STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION AND HAD TO MESS WITH THE TRANNY AND FINALLY GET IT TO RELEASE THE GEAR CUZ IT WOULDN'T LET ME PUSH THE CAR
6. PUSH THE CAR INTO A NEAR PARKING LOT AND CHECKED IT OUT... WHEN I STARTED IT BACK UP EVEN WHILE THE SHIFTER WAS IN NEUTRAL IT WOULD STALL OUT UNLESS MY FOOT WAS ON THE CLUTCH AND WHEN I WOULD LET OFF A LITTLE IT WOULD MOVE AS IF IT WERE IN GEAR.

ANY CLUE WHATS WRONG ANYONE? HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean adjustable master cylinder?

and it seems like if everything else is new/rebuilt it probably is a hydraulic problem. these cars are notorious for them. i did my LS7 2 weeks ago and replaced all the hydraulics with new stock OEM ones, same as many others, with no problems. check the color of the hydraulic fluid first, if its **** brown, its bad. so change it. it should be pretty much clear. if the fluid seems fine, bleed the **** outta it to make sure theres no air in the system. if that doesnt work, you most likely need new hydraulics.

hope that helps
Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

my master cylinder is brand new too and it was bled pretty damn good too. i was told the throw out bearing/slave cylinder wasn't engaging properly cuz its too far from the clutch. something like that.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS7 clutch kit does not require an adjustable master cylinder, or a slave shim. It sounds like you have either bad hydraulics or a broken transmission.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

i hope its not the trans. i doubt it is. im sure its either the clutch itself or the slave but if its my master cylinder then its still better than replacing the clutch.

its becoming a chronic problem with this car. everytime i get the tranny on i have to replace parts and not long after they all go bad.

Quick Reply: Ls7 Clutch Kit Questions