Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding the Clutch system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bleeding the Clutch system

First manual car never bleeded a clutch system before let me see if I know I think it is a two person job. Locate the plug I think it is on top of the transmission.Open up the cap where you put the fluid pump the clutch and open the plug at the bottom and dont let the fluid run out at the top.Close the plug back up and pump it again,open the plug again and keep a eye on the fluid so it dont run out.I dont know if the car has to be on or off and does it need to be level or can I have the front on ramps?Thanks
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leave the car off. I can do it by myself since I pulled the carpet back and cut a hole in the floor. I didn't do a hack job and I bought a plug for the hole and I painted the hole area to keep it from rusting. Trust me it makes it A LOT easier!!!!

But you have the basic idea. pump (2-4 times slowly dont get someone baching the pedal like there speed racer) open the bleeder then close the bleeder and make sure that you don't poen it for to long. repeat as needed.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
Leave the car off. I can do it by myself since I pulled the carpet back and cut a hole in the floor. I didn't do a hack job and I bought a plug for the hole and I painted the hole area to keep it from rusting. Trust me it makes it A LOT easier!!!!

But you have the basic idea. pump (2-4 times slowly dont get someone baching the pedal like there speed racer) open the bleeder then close the bleeder and make sure that you don't poen it for to long. repeat as needed.
Do I hold the pedal down and open it or do I pump it and let go and open it?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep the pedal down! and when the bleeder is open the person with there foot on the pedal needs to know if it hit the floor or not. If it hit the floor then the bleeder was open to long and air has now re entered the system.

this is the reason I made the hole in the floor so I was in controll of everything.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its a lot easier with two people unless you use a mityvac

anyways do this:

open cap to clutch master cylinder reservoir, make sure it is full
press pedal down, then open the bleeder valve, wait a few seconds, then close the bleeder
pull the pedal up, and it will suck fluid through, refill the reservoir, and repeat until you start to get brake fluid with no bubbles coming out

edit* it is REALLY hard to bleed the fbodies due to the slave cylinder, so it might take you a long time.. personally i ended up getting a mityvac because i was unable to fully bleed it using the pedal, it kept grinding going into gear/not wanting to go n
Old 02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem

Quick Reply: Bleeding the Clutch system