Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO Clunky Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Clunky Shifting

I have a 05 GTO with the t56. The car has about 56k miles and several bolt on and programming upgrades. I drive the car normally in most cases with the occasional "fun". The trans/shifter/clutch are stock.

My problem/question is that the trans has trouble shifting into 1st from neutral sometimes. In this case I usually have to shift into some other gear and then into first. Some times I have to let out the clutch just a little and try to catch it into first, and I grind a bit and feel like an idiot. Also, sometimes when shifting from 1st to 2nd I'll hit a stop for a half second and then it will go in. Sometimes this happens in 3rd and 4th, but as the gears get higher the problem feels less and less. I have no noise during the shifts, it just feels "clunky". The clutch holds great.

My first thoughts are syncros. Does this sound right? Maybe something else to look for or try?

Thanks, TA69man (69 Trans Am, BTW.... it's not what you were thinking...ha)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Any Ideas?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried changing you transmission fluid? I had some notchy shifting issues with my M6 and I found doing a fluid change helped me quite a bit.
There is quite a bit of information out there for what brand fluid to use and weather to go synthetic or not.
Also maybe look and see if the fluid in your hydraulic clutch cylinder is clear and not dirty.
That can cause shifting issues as well.
Hope this helps,
--Glenn

Quick Reply: GTO Clunky Shifting