Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant get tranny to bolt up to qt bellhousing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get tranny to bolt up to qt bellhousing???

Ive got my quicktime bellhousing on the engine and now im trying to put the trans in. Ive got the trans all into place everything seems to be lined up, even seems like the teeth on the input shaft and clutch are lined up to because the tranny turns when i rotate the engine. I just cant get it in the last inch. Ive been working at this for hours and tried every method i can find and think of and nothing works. My trans is a rebuilt t56 out of 07 z06 thats converted to fit into an fbody. Im thinking that maybe my input shaft is too long and is just hitting the back of the crank??? but if its converted to fit in an fbody that shouldnt be happening. What the hell am i doing wrong here?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Actually the Vette input shaft is a little shorter. I just finished a hybrid unit myself yesterday. It sounds to me like the clutch disc is not properly lined up. If you have access to a line up shaft, I would double check this before going further. If the clutch disc is not lined up, you are going to kill yourself stabbing it.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

the clutch seems to be aligned. it looks centered in there and i slid my alignment tool in and everything seems fine. I dont know what this could be, its like it goes in fine then hits a wall or something. could this possible be an issue with the pilot bearing being in wrong? I would think that if the teeth on the clutch line up with the shaft it should slide right in.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

did you replace anything other than the bellhousing?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like your problem is it's not going into the pilot bearing. Try this: Put a light load on the tranny bolts, and then wiggle the back end of the tranny around.

Last resort - pull it the rest of the way in with the bolts.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

hey, i had the same problem w/ my t-56. double check that fork thing under your slave cylinder and make sure its pilled back and just play with it...lol. i did mine by hand, it sucked hard core =/
Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

start the bolts up and have them all pull the tranny in evenly. do it like in a star pattern, i had the same problem.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

ok i pulled the bellhousing and readjusted the clutch and I thought i had it right but i guess not because IT STILL WONT GO IN!!!! I was able to get the alignment tool in a little bit farther than the first time which i thought must have been the problem. How far is the tool supposed to go in? Until you cant see the teeth?

The tranny does not seem to be aligning vertically with the bellhousing either so im thinking that the clutch still must not be aligned right or else it would be sliding into the pilot bearing already. WTF!?!?!?!?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
did you replace anything other than the bellhousing?
I put in a monster stage 4 clutch/flywheel
Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
How far is the tool supposed to go in?
As far as it will go.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

took off the bellhousing and clutch again and checked the pilot bearing and it looks fine. What looks like is happening is that the end of the input shaft is hitting the sides of the pilot bearing due to the clutch not being lined up right. What can I do to be POSITIVE that the clutch is aligned properly? This flimsy, plastic, piece of crap alignment tool doesnt seem to do the job.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Stabbing a tranny is a delicate matter (as heavy as teh freakn thing is you would think it would just take a manhandling) but is delicate.

OK. Take your alignment tool, and slide it in (like you have) and if it goes in and out easily, than your clutch is lined up. Now, CHECK (take a flashlight) your PB, and see if maybe some needle bearings got knocked out and are inside teh crank (and hence blocking you from going in any further, a stretch,yes, but only takes a second to check if tranny is out)

Now, if you can get some "all thread" and cut to length and use them as studs to help is what I like to use. I take some all thread, few inches long is all, and thread them (I like to use 2 studs) into the bellhousing. Then you can slide teh tranny over teh studs to help support the tranny's weight, and is lined up as well. Then you can slide teh tranny in alot easier that way.

Once you have that, and you are able to get a couple bolts in, start to SLOWLY tighten up the bolts. Once you get a few threads started, remove teh studs, and put bolts in. Again, SLOWLY start to tighten bolts to draw tranny up. HOWEVER, if you feel it binding, DO NOT FORCE IT, you can crack teh case/mounting lugs/ears. All the time you are tightening teh bolts, have someone supporting the rear part of teh tranny and SLIGHTLY jiggling tranny up and down (SMALL amounts of jiggling, like fractions of an inch is all).
Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try putting the bell on the trans while its out of the car.
the dowels on the trans don't line up to the bell very well on my quicktime.
For the price of aftermarket stuff I sure wish it would fit better

Quick Reply: cant get tranny to bolt up to qt bellhousing???