Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some advice/help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need some advice/help please

this is my daily driver, its been sticking in 4th gear really bad and grinding in 3rd. if i baby it which ive been doing is it ok to drive until i save the funds to have it rebuilt or rebuild it myself. If i get up to speed in second and hold the clutch in for about 5 seconds 3rd doesnt grind at all then i just go to 5th and 6th and carry on. is it ok to drive this if i baby it for a while. any advice would be great i dont want to destroy it beyond being rebuildable. im an active duty Marine with a new baby so money is really tight, thats why im thinking of trying to rebuild it myself...thanks much again for any help or replies...Semper Fi SSgt Kincaid OUT
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chesty for President
this is my daily driver, its been sticking in 4th gear really bad and grinding in 3rd. if i baby it which ive been doing is it ok to drive until i save the funds to have it rebuilt or rebuild it myself. If i get up to speed in second and hold the clutch in for about 5 seconds 3rd doesnt grind at all then i just go to 5th and 6th and carry on. is it ok to drive this if i baby it for a while. any advice would be great i dont want to destroy it beyond being rebuildable. im an active duty Marine with a new baby so money is really tight, thats why im thinking of trying to rebuild it myself...thanks much again for any help or replies...Semper Fi SSgt Kincaid OUT

As long as it is not making any other sounds or having any problems getting it into gear, you should be OK. Sounds to me that your 3/4 synchro's and blocking rings are bad.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

brother thanks much for the advice, i changed the fluid just to be safe and i baby it. I only have 3 stops on the way to work its pretty much a straight shot...thanks again

Semper Fi
Old 07-13-2009, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

brother thanks much for the advice, i changed the fluid just to be safe and i baby it. I only have 3 stops on the way to work its pretty much a straight shot...thanks again

Semper Fi

You got it When you changed the fluid....did you notice any fragments? Material in the fluid? Probaly got some, but if you did not really notice anything, then again, no worries. If you had a broken gear or something like that, I would probaly tell you no, don't drive it as you could make it worse and damage something else. But with worn synchro's like it sounds, really can't do too much more damage, unless you keep abusing it and/or continue to drive it for a period of time without addressing it. Good luck
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

no debris to speak of brother. if i hold in the clutch between 2nd and third for about 3 to 5 seconds the grinding is very minimal to non-exsistance. brother i never knew how critical to having fun 4th gear was.....this sux...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM
FormerVendor

no debris to speak of brother. if i hold in the clutch between 2nd and third for about 3 to 5 seconds the grinding is very minimal to non-exsistance. brother i never knew how critical to having fun 4th gear was.....this sux...

I feel ya. Just take your time shifting (like you are doing), and just keep your ear's peeled for any strange sounds teh best ya can. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need some advice/help please