Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me bleed my clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me bleed my clutch!

Ive searched everywhere for how to bleed and cant find any detailed instructions on how to do it. I think i have the general idea but im not sure. I would like you guys to tell me exactly what to do before i go and further **** something up.

Alright, first thing I did was crack the bleeder screw. now this was not easy at all because for some reason the bleeder screw sits right up against the hole where the trans and bellhousing connect. I had to bend it up a little and push a socket on to it in order unscrew it. now that its unscrewed a little bit it seems pretty loose which is kind of worrying me. seems to have alot of movement in it. anyway, so i go and fill up the clutch fluid reservoir with dot 3 synthetic brake fluid. give the clutch a few pumps and get nothing but a few "sucking noises" and a mess under the car. now there seems to be fluid dripping from where the trans and bellhousing connect and around where the bleeder and master cylinder line connects. the fluid somehow made it to the floor of the car and on the bottom of the line from the master cylinder. I checked the top of the car at the master cylinder and reservoir and found no leaks. when i moved the clutch pedal could it have just shot fluid out of the bleeder?

I also have a remote bleeder but I have no clue on how this works. Its looking like i should have installed that before i put in the transmission cause i think it goes in place of the bleeder screw.

So how do i properly do this and does it sound like ive already fucked it up?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
9 Second Club

Been a while but here's how I do it.
1. for me it's a two person job, one in the car and one on the bottom
2. fill reservoir prior to starting, NEVER let the reservoir get low, when it sucks air you just filled your lines with air
3. with bleeder tightened, pump the clutch a few times then hold it on the floor.(do not let the pedal come back up until after the bleeder screw has been opened and then tightened per your bottom mans instructions, you may have to use your foot to actually pull the pedal back up to the top position)
4. yell out to the guy on the bottom to crack the bleeder, it will generally squirt out a good bit of fluid as well as you will hear air escape.(as soon as this happens while the person on top still has the pedal to the floor then tighten the screw back down then your partner can pull the pedal back up to the top position)
5. repeat steps 2-5 as many times as needed until all the air is gone and you get a good pedal feel.
6. lastly, just make sure that the reservoir is within the manufactures recommended level
7. drive the car around your yard or a short non-busy street to make sure things are going well, then recheck your fluid at lest for the next few days to ensure you are full.

GL
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you don't mind drilling an access hole in the floorboard it turns it into a one man job. And don't take the bleeder screw all the way out or you will be sorry, believe me I know.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

thanks guys i appreciate it. Does it sound like Ive already broken the slave cylinder? its just worrys me about the fluid leaking and the bleeder screw feeling so loose. was it leaking so bad because i was pumping the clutch with the bleeder open? especially since i had to force on the socket to turn it.

Is it also to late to use my remote bleeder?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had absolutely no luck trying to install my remote bleeder through the little access hole in the bell housing. but then I'm not the best wrench in the world. I cut the access hole in the floorboard and that made life much simpler.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

ok i think i got it. the clutch seems to be pretty stiff but it is still slightly loose at the very top. is it normal for alot of fluid to come out when the bleeder is open?

Quick Reply: Help me bleed my clutch!