Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default point me in the right direction

99 trans am, 65k on her. has brand new rebuilt six speed with tick stage 2 parts, brand new gm slave, and brand new tick adj. master cylinder. everything has been fine since the rebuild. well a couple weeks ago i went messing around and was shifting pretty hard, pedal went soft so right off the bat figured the master line was resting on the header, let the car sit to cool down, moved the line and all was okay. a few days later found the damn line near the header again. moved the line again and this time really put it out of the way. well its now been a few weeks ( i only drive the car once a week) drove the car to school and everything was okay, drove the car back home and everything was okay, made a turn onto the main road home and wouldn't let me into any gear, like the clutch wouldn't let go, finally after pumping the pedal and giving it a second it went into gear. it was doing this to me the whole ride home. I poped the hood and the line was no where near the header. i also tried something with putting the car on a flat surface (foot off the clutch, car in neutral) and i would try to put the car in gear without the clutch and the car would creep slow. does this mean im having clutch drag? I mean i know i should have bled the system since i probably boiled the clutch fluid twice. my question is why now its acting up? any help would be appreciated

thanks

matthew
Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're getting pedal fade, take a look at the fluid. Swap in some motul with a good bleed...(you did install a remote bleed line while it was all apart right?)
Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

did not install a remote bleed Cthulu, also did not receive instructions with the tick adj. with adjustments, not sure if they are right. the pedal is pretty high.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Well, I would adj the pedal down some to help with a possible engagment issue. Sounds like after "break in" your pedal is now not traveling enough to disengage clutch fully. Possibly.
Supposedly, the pedal should be a lttle BELOW the brake pedal. However, I have seen them in a few different positions, so every car is gonna be slightly different.
I would start with pedal adj and try again. Also, you might want to go ahead and wrap your line with header wrap.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

thanks for the input, i am going to bleed the clutch, move the line out of the way better, and wrap it, as well with try to adj. the pedal. does anyone have the proper instructions how to adj.?