Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch problem?

First, let me start off by saying that I did search, and sort-of found my answer for the first problem, but still a little unsure. I had a Spec Stage 3 put in my car a few months ago, and everything has been fine with it. But, after a trip to the track, I noticed a rattle when in neutral, with the pedal out. It goes away whenever I press the pedal in though. I saw, from searching, that aftermarket clutches in T56's tend to be noisy, and rattle anyways. But, I figured it would've done it from day one. Which leads me to believe, maybe the throwout bearing went bad, or something of that sort. Also, as of late, I seem to get a little clunk whenever I shift into gears, and let out on the clutch. But, not all the time. It also happens sometimes when I let of the gas, then get back on the gas, while driving. I was thinking maybe it's just a u-joint, but, it also happens sometimes when I put it into 1st, with the clutch still depressed, just rolling up to a stop sign. So, I figured, it probably wouldn't be a u-joint, since that shouldn't have any affect on the DS, since the clutch isn't engaged. I also kind of suspected the rear-end, since I've had some whine, and a few other noises, ever since my gear install. But, once again, it shouldn't have any affect on the rear-end, if the clutch isn't engaged. Any ideas guys?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a toughy. Does it happen sitting still? If so, you can eliminate DS/Ujoint/Rear end.
if you are moving at all, and is when it happens, you still need to look at them, because if you are moving, they are moving.
A thunking sound huh? Well, it COULD be a tranny mount or engine mount. So, check those. TQ Arm bolts loose?

Now, the rattle noise you first mentioned, in neutral, and goes away when you push in clutch pedal, I would say TOB. How far do you need to push in clutch pedal to get it to stop?

Edit: These ARE 2 different noises you are getting right?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
That is a toughy. Does it happen sitting still? If so, you can eliminate DS/Ujoint/Rear end.
if you are moving at all, and is when it happens, you still need to look at them, because if you are moving, they are moving.
A thunking sound huh? Well, it COULD be a tranny mount or engine mount. So, check those. TQ Arm bolts loose?

Now, the rattle noise you first mentioned, in neutral, and goes away when you push in clutch pedal, I would say TOB. How far do you need to push in clutch pedal to get it to stop?

Edit: These ARE 2 different noises you are getting right?
Yes, they are two different sounds. For the clutch rattle to stop, I just need to press the pedal in far enough to disengage it, which is only about 4 inches or so, since it's basically an on/off switch at the top of the pedal, and has been since it was put in. As for the thunking sound, I was kind of thinking it could be a trans mount. Because, sometimes, in lower rpm, in 2nd, the shifter shakes a lot. I've got a poly mount at home, that I've been meaning to put in for a long time anyways. And I'll make sure to check out the TQ arm also.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tspence45
Yes, they are two different sounds. For the clutch rattle to stop, I just need to press the pedal in far enough to disengage it, which is only about 4 inches or so, since it's basically an on/off switch at the top of the pedal, and has been since it was put in. As for the thunking sound, I was kind of thinking it could be a trans mount. Because, sometimes, in lower rpm, in 2nd, the shifter shakes a lot. I've got a poly mount at home, that I've been meaning to put in for a long time anyways. And I'll make sure to check out the TQ arm also.

Well, I was gonna say that if you JUST push in clutch pedal, and teh noise stops, it would be TOB. But if it takes quite a bit of pedal travel for it to stop, I would be more inclined to say something else, like an input shaft/PB, or PP/disc rattle.
The thunking, I would check the mounts and TQ arms bolts first, and go from there.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

TS, are you using a lightened flywheel? If so then the sound you here at idle could also be gear noise. As you mention these transmissions are a little noisy anyway. Remember, gear noise has a tendency to get louder as the transmission fluid temps increase and the fluid thins out. If you hadn't really gotten on the car since the install, and then you toook it to the track and the sound started then it could easily be a result of the increased temps and their subsequent affect on perceived gear-noise. You can call or email me with questions at any time. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, I was gonna say that if you JUST push in clutch pedal, and teh noise stops, it would be TOB. But if it takes quite a bit of pedal travel for it to stop, I would be more inclined to say something else, like an input shaft/PB, or PP/disc rattle.
The thunking, I would check the mounts and TQ arms bolts first, and go from there.
Well, I guess I never tried just barely pushing it in at all, to see if it'd stop. I just either put it all the way down, or had it all the way out. It also seems like I've got a little vibration through the clutch pedal, when going down the road, and it seems to increase with speed. Which is anothing thing that could lead me to believe it could be either a mount or possible driveshaft problem, that could be causing the clunking or thumping noise. I'm getting ready to head out and pull my car over my boss's pit, in his shop, to start checking some things out now, though. So, we'll see if I can figure anything out tonight, with it.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
TS, are you using a lightened flywheel? If so then the sound you here at idle could also be gear noise. As you mention these transmissions are a little noisy anyway. Remember, gear noise has a tendency to get louder as the transmission fluid temps increase and the fluid thins out. If you hadn't really gotten on the car since the install, and then you toook it to the track and the sound started then it could easily be a result of the increased temps and their subsequent affect on perceived gear-noise. You can call or email me with questions at any time. Thanks!
Nope, I'm still using a stock flywheel. I wish I wasn't still using the stock one, but the funds for a Spec billet or aluminum flywheel weren't there, when I had it done. I had gotten on it a few times before taking it to the track. But, never really did any hard launching or powershifting, like I was doing at the track that night.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 PM
FormerVendor

Try this next time, open your door (where the noise should be more pronouced, and obviously with car stopped, but motor running) and once you are able to hear the noise, JUST place your foot on the pedal. If the noise goes away, would say TOB
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

I tried it just a little bit ago, and it doesn't seem to go away until the clutch is completely disengaged. I think I found the clunk, or pop, though. The front U-joint seems like it went bad. So, I'm going to have to take the DS out soon and change that. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a poly TQ arm mount, and change that and the motor mount when I change the U-joint too.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tspence45
I tried it just a little bit ago, and it doesn't seem to go away until the clutch is completely disengaged. I think I found the clunk, or pop, though. The front U-joint seems like it went bad. So, I'm going to have to take the DS out soon and change that. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a poly TQ arm mount, and change that and the motor mount when I change the U-joint too.

OK, well it may be a PB/input shaft noise or PP/Disc noise. USUALLY when you apply the slightest amount of pressure to TOB, and the noise stops, it is the TOB. Now, that is NOT always the case, but more times than not it is.

I definitely think you are headed in the right direction with Ujoints/tranny mount in fixing teh "thunking" sound
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

After you make those changes let us know what you find. If you need anything in the mean time just let me know. Thanks,