Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do i have a hydraulic problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do i have a hydraulic problem?

I had my engine and transmission out and reinstalled them. I have a textralia with stock hydraulics. I bled the clutch with my mityvac and it seemed to work perfectly fine. I was driving one night a week later and my clutch stuck on the floor, i pulled it up and had no other problems.

I figured there was probably more air in the system so i used my mityvac and got more air out and pumped the crap out of the pedal to get all the bubbles out.

I noticed there was some brake fluid on the floor in the morning and was slightly worried but it is possible i spilled it on accident.

I havent seen any fluid on the floor since but it seems to be driving weird. The clutch seems like the engagement point is different now, actually feels smoother. It doesnt feel right for some reason, i checked the fluid level and the reservoir was almost empty, is something going on here?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the bleeder tight? bellhousing wet?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC

I havent seen any fluid on the floor since but it seems to be driving weird. The clutch seems like the engagement point is different now, actually feels smoother. ?

Feels weird, but smooth? I would take that as a good thing (smooth).

Now, you say the MC is low...do this....make sure ALL area's are cleaned up..Reservoir, MC, line, Bellhousing, etc....top off reservoir.....drive it. If you start to notice some notchy shifting or such, then you probaly have a leak or air in teh system. Get back, check for leaks (don't forget to clean it real good BEFORE you drive it) check fluid level in reservoir.

If it drives/shifts good and reservoir is full after teh drive, would not worry about it if it is still "smooth".

And again, if it is notchy and or reservoir is low, then you have air/leak in the system.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

Agreed...typically a leaky slave will drip with consistency. Of course the easiest way to determine if there is a leak that isn't bad enough to notice beneath the car is to watch the reservior. If the level changes then you are loosing fluid. If you pump the pedal does it change the feel or the engagement point. If so, then this would evidence air in the system. Try it and let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

I definitely have a leak and I cant really figure it out, seems to be random. It will occasionally spit some out and drop the level down quite a bit and other times i can drive all day long and not lose a drop. It doesnt seem to be coming from the slave cylinder/bellhousing but rather the line or master cylinder. How can i figure it out exactly?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

They can leak from the line and they can also allow fluid from another location to travel down the line which can really confuse things. At this point you really need to find the actual point of origin to insure that you solve the problem. Is there any moisture on the firewall in proximity to the master? This would be the most logical location for the leak as the slave would typically be evidenced by moisture on the bell. Worst case scenario would be replacing the complete hydraulic system...though that probbably isn't what you were hoping for.

Quick Reply: Do i have a hydraulic problem?