Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnosis help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diagnosis help?

Lately I've been having what I think are clutch related problems. At 4000rpms+, the car noticeably lost power, and I figured the clutch was slipping at high rpms, because in normal driving between 1200 and 2000, the rpms would jump up for a moment and the shifter would jump left and right, like the clutch was chattering. With HPTuners logging the whole time, there was no knock or misfires of any kind, but you could see the RPM curve drop off. However, while racing an STi tonight, I noticed my car pulled hard all the way to redline, with no reduction in power. The lower rpm chatter is still there, but after a few test pulls, , the clutch held over and over. This, I assume, is the stock 104,000 mile LS1 clutch. Do you think it was the clutch causing the 4000rpm+ drop in power, or could something else be up?
Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you had the headers from my experience the stock ls1 clutch can't handle the power while racing does the pedal stick to the floor at all? I haven't seen a 6 speed with stock clutch and headers not have problems with the clutch.... The chatter hopefully just a clutch issue
Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the only time the pedal sticks is when I sit with the clutch pressed for 1+ minute. No problems sticking going through the gears.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a slipping clutch is not gonna cause you to lose power. If anything, the motor will GAIN power, because it really is not turning the transmission/driveshaft/rearend anymore, so teh motor will rev more freely/easily.

That being said, the known weak links in our cars are teh stock hydraulics (you can start by replacing them) few options there...you can go stock MC and do the drill mod, or buy an aftermarket Adj. MC whichever your pocket book dictates.

With that many miles on a stock clutch, it PROBALY is due for replacement anyways, AND, if you decide to pull tranny and replace teh slave, now would be the time to replace the clutch as well.

Quick Reply: Diagnosis help?