Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec?

So my delimma is this. I was hoping my OEM clutch would last a couple more months but, as they always do, its going out at the wrong time. I eventually want the mcleod w/my planned build but right now I can't afford it so I was looking at the Spec stage 1 (supposedly rated at 425lb-ft) to fit my rather modest car (341rwhp-347rwtq)
I read a random thread where someone used a spec and it lasted only 6k. Will I most likely have this luck or can I expect some decent mileage and improved clamping power over stock, or just until the build?
If not, then whats next up on the price list for recommendation?

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've heard mixed things about Spec. ppl get good ones and bad ones.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I can appreciate the perspective that there are "good" and "bad" parts there is much more to it than this. For instance, one could that there are good and bad installs; good and bad break-ins, good and bad flywheel resurfacing, good and bad power levels relative to the clutches capacity. In reality, clutch life is a product of more than just the parts alone. All of the above factors impact the clutches function and as such it is incorrect to inherently place blame on the clutch itself. That being said there is never any guarantee when it comes to clutch life. But, in order to get the most out of any clutch you should follow some simple guidelines:

Always check your flywheel for flatness (even after resurfacing) because if the flywheel isn't flat the clutch will have difficulty seating and its capacity and durability will be compromised. Always follow proper break-in procedure. In respect to our clutches we suggest a 500 miles regimen of city driving, shifting as much as possible, to bed in the materials allowing it to have the best environment for long-term functionality. Always make sure that the parts are installed using the appropriate torque specs and that the parts are not contaminated by dirty hands or a leaky RMS, Trans, or slave-cylinder. Always make sure that the clutch you buy is rated to handle the power you plan to make. If not, you will have a greater chance of over-power the assembly and thus a less than desired life expectancy.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks and have a great morning.