Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Concern about clutch.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concern about clutch.....

First off I have a 2002 camaro SS M6. When I turn off the car in neutral I can hear a knock/rattle coming from under the car. Nothing too crazy just like three or four quick knocks In a row. Thought it was the exhaust but nope. The thing is when I have the clutch pedal pressed in turning the car off it is quiet as can be. Just curious as to WTF the sound is. Car runs and drives fine the sound is just there and annoying me. It wouldn't be as annoying if I knew it was normal if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for any input!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same issue as well as dozens of other posts dating back to 2003. no one has an answer
Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Teching In

kind of brought this back from the dead, but my car does something similar. it doesn't do it when i turn it off, but it's cammed, so when it's cranking, and regulating the idle, if the rpms drop real low, you can hear the noise you're talking about. if i clutch in, it doesn't make the noise.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by samb0ness
kind of brought this back from the dead, but my car does something similar. it doesn't do it when i turn it off, but it's cammed, so when it's cranking, and regulating the idle, if the rpms drop real low, you can hear the noise you're talking about. if i clutch in, it doesn't make the noise.
mine does that but I'm almost positive its the y-pipe banging on the floor a tad.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

mine sounds like a straight up rod knock i doubt its anything outside of the trans. I hope its as simple as a need of a new clutch. I think we need people to really step up here because this is a very common issue and it makes our cars sound like ****
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I know the sound.. I always thought it was the gears in the trans. With wear the tolerances are greater and things will have a tendency to make noise. With the engine shutting off, you can hear it a little more.

If you dry spin a trans what do you hear?? Gear sounds.. Kind of..