Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

"Sloppy" shifting - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Sloppy" shifting - Any thoughts?

All -

My T56 has an aftermarket Hurst Competition Plus shifter; this shifter is now 3 YO with about 90K miles on it.

I have noticed over the last three years my shifting has gone from "stiff and notchy" to "perfect" to "a little loose / sloppy".

Two years ago, over 17 1/4 mile (1320 feet) runs on a Test-and-Tune Saturday, my times varied by all of 0.07 seconds. (My father, a drag racer who has never used anything but a Hurst shifter, told me I was a chip off the old block.)

BTW - The trans was also given a Hi-Po rebuild by Tick Performance in the last year. During the time following the rebuild, the shifting again went from "stiff and notchy" to "perfect" to "a little loose / sloppy". But, Joey at Tick told me the trans would be a little notchy post-rebuild.

So, last Thursday I took the car to the local 660 ft mini-drag strip, and missed the 2-3 shift (went 1st-2nd-1st!) both times and left (before I broke something!) in shame and disgust...

Anyway, having said all that, my question is:

Could there be anything 'causing' slop in my shifting vs. the shifter itself?

Do I just need to replace my Hurst?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem but stock shifter.

I think it just may be my style changing.

I used to squeak 1-2 every time, and miss 3rd rarely.

Now I never squeak and miss 3rd like 25% of the time...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue with my Stock Hurst shifter, the cause was that the bolts on the shifter were all loose! It is a common problem with the factory Hurst shifter bolts. I would pull out the center counsel and make sure everything is tight. If its not tight then dont just tighten them back up make sure you correct the issue by putting some thread locker or lock tite on the threads and then tighten everything down. This is the first place I would start before getting into the trans.

By the way, I put a Pro 5.0 in there 3 years ago and the bolts never came loose. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clarification

Yeah, a while back things were getting loose and the culprit turned out to be the bolts holding the chrome shift lever to the shifter; a second set of lock nuts solved this. Having said that, my Hurst is not a factory piece. I will check the four shifter-to-T56 bolts though...

I guess my real questions are:

Is three years / 90k miles a 'normal' half life for a Hi Po Hurst shifter? Or should it live longer? If it isn't 'worn-out' then what is? The plastic bushing between the Hurst shifter and T56 maybe? (I admit it - I'm grasping at straws.)

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I had this issue with my Stock Hurst shifter, the cause was that the bolts on the shifter were all loose! It is a common problem with the factory Hurst shifter bolts. I would pull out the center counsel and make sure everything is tight. If its not tight then dont just tighten them back up make sure you correct the issue by putting some thread locker or lock tite on the threads and then tighten everything down. This is the first place I would start before getting into the trans.

Quick Reply: "Sloppy" shifting - Any thoughts?