Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cant Shift Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Shift Tranny

I recently bought a 4-speed jerico that I am planning on putting in a project car im building... 27 Track T LS powered.. but anyways I got the tranny complete but not fully assembled. I can work on any part of a car but tearing down a manual tranny is a first for me. Ive been doing research and heard this tranny will outlive most t-10, muncies, saginaws, etc... so when i got the deal on this tranny I thought I would at least take the time to finally learn how one works.

My problem is that the tranny will not slide at all into 1st or 2nd. Its like it is stuck? Before i took the 1st gear off the shaft it did not have this problem. It would freely shift in and out of first gear. Is there a certain way to allign everything so it will not act stuck? Any help or suggestions would be helpful
Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

I'm assuming you have the transmission based on the Ford toploader? The DR4-4?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, its a top loader ford based tranny but has mounting for chevy bellhousing and 26spline chevy input shaft. But that is what is giving me the trouble is that input shaft. It is a little loose but I cant figure out how to get it to fit up tight again or allow it to slide into 1st or 2nd. Its the road course style tranny, not the DR4.