Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Unable to shift into gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to shift into gear

Car is a 2006 GTO

Went to the strip yesterday and on my last couple runs the car wouldn't go into 4th. Seems to be a common problem with me, missing 4th. Anyway on the 2nd to last pass I eventually got it into gear and finished the run (12.7 @110). The last pass after I missed it I just coasted to the end of the track (13.0 @ 92MPH). Figured I would put it into a gear at the end of the slow down and it wouldn't go. Tried 3rd, nope, 2nd, nope, 1st, nope.... Eventually I jammed it into 2nd got my ticket and cruised back to the pits.

Had a bunch of gearheads come over and start looking at it, no one could figure it out. With the car off I can row through the gears easily. When I start the car I can't get into anything without serious force. So this is leading me to believe it is a hydraulic issue. I went into reverse at one point, and the car wouldn't move! OK so maybe not a hydraulic issues. It did eventually go into reverse, I stopped to get gas on the drive home and reverse worked. Clutch still engages/disengages like it should, although being at the top of the stroke for the pedal, but it has been like this since I put in the clutch.

Let the car cool down overnight, went out hoping it was just hot, and same BS. Still have to try and bleed the fluid, but it isn't black. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look at? I am hating it, my car is all mustanged up right now! Can't really drive it anywhere

Mod list for drivetrain is the following:
South Bend DXD Stage 3 Clutch
Billet Pro shifter
Harrop rear diff cover
Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

First thing in morning...is it OK?

It sounds like a hydraulic or clutch issue though.

How long has setup been in teh car, like it is? MC? Slave? Miles clutch? etc..
Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Agreed, it is potentially hydraulic and thus I would suggest doing the easiest thing first...bleed it! I recommend using a Mighty-vac on the bleeder off the slave and off the reservoir too to insure that you get all the air out. If the problem gets better then it was likely air in the system. If it gets better and then the problem returns then it is likely an issue with the slave or master. Either way, try bleeding it first and let us know what the result is. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Agreed, it is potentially hydraulic and thus I would suggest doing the easiest thing first...bleed it! I recommend using a Mighty-vac on the bleeder off the slave and off the reservoir too to insure that you get all the air out. If the problem gets better then it was likely air in the system. If it gets better and then the problem returns then it is likely an issue with the slave or master. Either way, try bleeding it first and let us know what the result is. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Agreed. Spec hit the nail on the head, and is exactly what I would do first as well. (I was a little short in my first post, was trying to rush out the door, but Spec worded it better than I would have anyways )
Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On GTO's they have a shitty rubber line going to the slave.I've seen them expand alot.Enough after racing to actually do the same problem you describe.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Even the day after, and a couple days after still the same crap. I have stainless lines installed, forgot to mention that. Clutch has been installed around 5k miles ago. Never had any major issues like this before.

Quick update. Had to drive the car to the dealership to get some cosmetic items fixed before warranty runs out.

Found out that I have to have the car in run, not started, to be able to get to reverse. I have to push the shifter into reverse while starting to get reverse to work. If I don't the shifter jumps out and I have to try again. Then once I am backed up I have to turn the car off, then do the same procedure to go into 1st. Then it will shift through the gears, although not easily.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

went out and bled the clutch, absolutely no air in that at all. Have it jacked up now, hoping it is the slave...

Quick Reply: Unable to shift into gear