Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch master cylinder

I have a 99 TA M6 that has recently started giving me problems, the clutch petal doesn't always "pop" back up, if I get my foot under it and bring it out, it usually starts working fine for a while. I'm going to check the fluid, but someone told me it might be the master cylinder.

I'm not a mechanic, I can do basic stuff, brakes, plugs, oil, belts etc. The most I think I've done is the window motors. is this something that I should just bite the bullet and pay someone to do? or if I find some directions, is this reasonable to think that I can do it?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

youll need an upgraded MC or to modify the stock the one. Its not difficult. Read in the manual transmission section. The stickies have ALOT of information
Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

i had mine go out as well. i got a replacement unit from GM. usually good to do master and slave cylinder together. but, the slave cylinder is an concentric one which means u have to drop the tranny because it sits on the input shaft in bell house of thetranny behind the throw out bearing. i also had to remove the clutch and brake PEDALs assembly(they are one unit). if u go to a shop it will COST u, its the time.
but the job is HARD if un-experienced
Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

If you are just replacing the master cylinder and not the slave cylinder its not that hard just takes some time, and when you need to disconnect from the slave, crack the bleeder screw and it will be more easy.