Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noise following slave install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise following slave install

I just completed an install of a Tick M/C and slave with remote bleeder(which is an awesome piece) on my '98 SS and I am hearing a clicking type sound from the area below the shifter. After the install I test drove with the console removed an only the shifter boot installed and I can hear a clicking noise regardless of which gear is selected. It is loudest at about 35-40mph, but is faint enough to where it can only be heard with the windows shut. The faster I run the faster the click occurs until it is no longer heard or the exhaust drowns it out. When I did the install I did not remove the pressure plate or flywheel, I only pulled the trans far enough to remove the old slave and install the new one. I used the install university mcleod clutch install as a guide for the trans removal and reinstalled using the torque values from the factory service manual. The new M/C and slave resolved my original issue which was a soft pedal and the clutch not engaging/disengaging. I'm afraid to drive the car due to what damage I may be causing. Has anyone seen an issue like this? Any help is appreciated
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Teching In

To follow up with more info, the noise is heard whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Also I have noticed that 2nd and 4th gear have more play in the shifter than 1st, 3rd, 5th or 6th. When I shift into 2nd or 4th and release the clutch the shifter slide forward acting like it wants to pop out of gear but it never pops out. Anyone??? Any ideas.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May sound dumn, but what are the odds your remote bleeder is hitting somthing. Mine did... And ticked all day long..
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I tried repositioning the remote bleed cable with no success. I'm starting to doubt my slave install, as simple as it was to install, I can't find any other source of the noise. I checked all the wiring and hydro lines to the trans and nothing is rubbing. If the slave/throw out bearing were installed incorrectly, would it cause the cylinder to rub against the input shaft from the trans? If its not the slave, the only other option I can think of is the drive shaft since I didn't replace the clutch or disassemble the trans itself. Any thoughts???
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mombo98
To follow up with more info, the noise is heard whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Also I have noticed that 2nd and 4th gear have more play in the shifter than 1st, 3rd, 5th or 6th. When I shift into 2nd or 4th and release the clutch the shifter slide forward acting like it wants to pop out of gear but it never pops out. Anyone??? Any ideas.
If your shifter has adjustable stops, make sure its adjusted properly on the 2nd/4th/6th side. Maybe make sure the shift boot isn't binding it up also...

You'd probably have a hard time bolting the cylinder up and getting it out of position...it could still be a noisy tob even tho its new.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Teching In

I have a stock shifter. If stock shifters have adjustable stops, how/where do you adjust them? I wasn't aware of adjustments on the shifter itself. I drove with the boot removed and the play in the shifter in 2nd and 4th is still there. The boot applies some tension on the shifter trying to push it forward toward the dash in 2nd/4th making the play seem worse, I adjusted the boot as much as I could without cutting it. 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and reverse show no signs of play.