Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 vendors please come in. Need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 vendors please come in. Need your help.

Looking for differences in some of the offerings of the T56 vendors on here. Don't want to start any sort of pi**ing match, but want to know what each has to offer. I have talked to quite a few companies that build the T56's, but have found it hard at times to get a real answer as to what makes one "that" much better than the other. And the price ranges can be quite dramatic from one place to the next as well.

The current setup I'm building consists of a 402 Iron block, TEA Trick Flow 245's, and APS twin turbo kit.

Power wise we are expecting +800whp and +900wtq

Thanks for any and all input you can give me!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Well, it all depends on what you are wanting to be realistic. If teh car never sees the track, our Level 2 package works real well for what you want.

Basic upgrades to weak link's in the tranny....bronze fork pads, Billet shift keys, steel fork, carbon fiber blocking rings.

Those are teh typical upgrades made to a tranny. Now, with your power, AND if you are wanting to visit the track on slicks/drag radials...it would be in your best interest to upgrade output/input shaft (Viper), AND possibly even change over to 9310 gear sets.

But, for teh street, the "Level 2" does quite well, even at those power levels you mentioned. It is just when you get out on a sticky track with tires, you start transmitting all that TQ through stock mainshaft/input/gear sets and that is when you can start to see failure's in teh "hard parts"
Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Not sure if I'll need the 9310's or not, but I know I'm going to want the Viper input/output shaft. The car will be 80% street driven, but it WILL see the dragstrip.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what gen414 said is basically the way it is. I wouldn't suggest the aftermarket gears...it seems the most hardcore guys have had more trouble with those than the gm gears. What kind of car/transmission do you have to build? If you're wanting to build a GTO trans, a viper mainshaft isn't going to work.

With that kind of power with a turbo, you may want to change to the 2.66 gearing of an f-body anyway. There is an aftermarket shaft made to make the gto a 30 spline output...if the company is willing to sell it seperately and it won't be cheap.

Also, we have never built a "viper" spec unit for a gm using a viper input shaft. It is quite a bit longer than the gm's shaft and when cut down to the necessary legnth the splined area isn't quite long enough for all the twin disc clutch applications (which is probably what most guys would want to use at the power level necessary for that shaft). We've got a few transmissions in car making over 1000 rwhp and I've never seen a broken input shaft on the shaft itself.

If you want the strongest tranny possible with stock street manors I'd reccomend building an f-body unit with the viper mainshaft conversion and have it cryo treated. Earlier versions of the f-body trans had a weaker second gear which can be upgraded. I believe some 99 models and all the 2000 up had the better second gear which is the same as used in the viper.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Can some of you guys also PM me some pricing for said units? I'm also looking to purchase here very soon. Thanks.

Keep the info/options coming!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

give Jason over at TDP a call 817-300-6840, he did mine for like 825.00 and I couldnt be happier he does real good work, hes an honest guy and straight forward. He had mine rebuilt in two days. Hes out in Fort Worth.

Quick Reply: T56 vendors please come in. Need your help.