Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Fluid Fill Plug on top?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Fluid Fill Plug on top?

Going to be changing my tranny fluid tomorrow and was wondering where the fill plug is located. I will be taking off the center console to do this, so from the top which I hear is easier.

The reason I ask is do I need to find a funnel that will bend (flexible) as it may be hard to get to, location wise? Or will just a regular plastic funnel do without any problems?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're going to be filling it from the top you shouldn't need a funnel at all. The opening's plenty big. Just pull the shifter off and fill her up.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
Going to be changing my tranny fluid tomorrow and was wondering where the fill plug is located. I will be taking off the center console to do this, so from the top which I hear is easier.

The reason I ask is do I need to find a funnel that will bend (flexible) as it may be hard to get to, location wise? Or will just a regular plastic funnel do without any problems?
If you are going to fill it from the top, you need to remove the shifter boot, dust cover and shifter. This takes time and can be very messy.

I rec getting the hand pump. It can be picked up at napa and other parts stores. It looks like a pump that you would see for soap or lotion, it just has a tube/hose off of the end of it. This way you all you have to do is get under the car and pump it by hand. It may take a little time but is really easy. You also dont NEED a jack to get under it to get the fill plug. The jack helps but is not a have to. When you fill the trans you need to make sure it is level and is filled to the fill plug. The plug is on the drivers side of the trans and is about in the center top to bottom and front to back. You use a reg. 3/8 drive rachet to take it off. You do not need to over tighten this. It only needs to be snug. You will fill it up until it starts coming back out of the fill whole. That is why it is important to try and keep the car level. Also you only need ATF3, The regular stuff. You dont need Mobil1 or RedLine or other stuff like Royal Purple. The regular stuff is more then fine. I have been running reg ATF in 800-1000RWHP car all the time at the track and DD. Taken them appart and bearings and the teath on the gears look 100%.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

ok well I'm going through the center console because I'm changing out the shifter at the same time... hence just asking before hand to be prepared in advance once I'm in there