Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help!! on transmission and clutch installation LT1 T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! on transmission and clutch installation LT1 T56

Hey guys I bent my clutch disk, when I installed my tranny the last time, so before I do that again I need some help! I bought a better tranny jack, but I would still like to get the engine to lean back further, so I can have a straighter shot at installing the transmission. I have the trany out, and I had a jack under the oil pan I took that out as well the engine just hangs there? It has maybe dropped back 1-2" max, is this normal? Do I need to cut the exhaust of is that waht is holding it still? When I did the clutch on my dads pickup the engine leaned way back at least 5-6" I add to keep a jack under the oil pan for fear of it leaning back so far the it would break the engine mounts, or hit the fire wall.

Let me know If you had to pull the exhaust, or what you had to take of when you guys did a LT1 clutch.. any help would be appreciated! I don't want tot make the same mistake twice!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

i always loosen the exhaust.Be sure to carefully remove the oil pressure sensor or it will break as it hits the firewall.Make sure your disc is lined up with the pressure plate and is in the center.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks! I guess I will have to cut the exhaust off! it was leaking where the Y pipe converter bolts to the mid pipe, so I welded it up, now when I remove the bolts it won't come apart... out comes the cut of wheel!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you raise the trans so that it is just about touching the tunnel, ease it forward, then raise it a little again you should be right in line.

Quick Reply: Help!! on transmission and clutch installation LT1 T56