Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popular clutch in question. Is it bad or a matter of over reacting????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Popular clutch in question. Is it bad or a matter of over reacting????

LS1 community,

Hey guys something has been brought to my attention and I wanted to get some feed back from all of you. As customers of high performance parts I believe its our duty to see what works and what dose not. With that said its our job to look out for each other when we see something that might not seem right and warn other of a part that might not work.

Before anything gets off on the wrong foot. I will not be announcing the manufacture or distributor of this part in question because I don't know the specifics yet. Im not hear to drag anyone in the mud or jump to conclusions. I just want to see what your thoughts are on the matter. Its an open debate.

Heres the situation in a nut shell . Buddy of mine buys a clutch kit but the installer brings the clutch disk into question. Installer does not want this job to come back to him as "bad installer practice" or "take it up with the installer".

The installer tells my buddy that the disk appears wrong. He goes ahead to tell him that some rivets are about the same height as the pad of the disk. He also points out that some of the rivets are lob sided with one side being at the same install height as the pad and the other side with some depth.

The situation appears to be the same on the reverse side of the clutch disk, the rivets are just about the same height as the disk pad.

Installer tell my buddy that in his opinion, by the time the car has had two oil changes the clutch will be worn down to the point that the rivets will start to eat into the flywheel and pressure plate with NON-AGGRESSIVE DRIVING.

The installer is not concerned about the clutch not working, he is concerned about the rivets being as tall as the disk pad material that in turn will ruin the flywheel/pressure plate and might make some kind of grinding sound when you have rivets engaging on the flywheel/pressure plate surface.

Note this installer has done a high performance clutch installs in the past. I asked my buddy to send me some pics and this is what he has.

What do you all think?

Roger

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, though pictures are worth a thousand words they can be deceiving on occasion. That being said it is important to remember that clutch disc wear is measured in .001" increments. In most instances a clutch disc will have reached the end of its life when between .020-.025" of material are removed from the discs total thockness. That being said, can you provide a measure of the discs total thickness? Also, can you use a feeler gauge to measure the depth from the disc friction surface to the tallest point on the rivet? This would allow me, and others to provide more info relative to this situation. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Last edited by SPEC-01; 02-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting. Ill see if we can meassure the heights. Any idea where we could find a feeler gauge that meassures in .001'' increments?

Roger
Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have been more specific...my apologies. A normal micrometer would suit your needs (for measuring total thickness and the depth to the top of the rivet). Or a Depth Mic would also work to measure the depth to the top of the rivet.