Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear issue.

Hey guys, I've seen that popping out of gear is a sign of the sliders going out, but I was wondering if that was my case. It only does it in 2nd gear and it's pretty rare that it does happen, but today I noticed something else. It only does it when I'm going around a corner. The guy before me put in a B&M short shifter and it seems like it's located too far forward and to the right. In first gear, it looks like the shifter is in the middle of the boot and I can even fit my finger between the **** and the AC controls. I don't know if either of those are normal positions, but would it be at all possible that the shifter is slid too far forward and that's causing it to pop out? I saw that the shifter plate has slotted holes to slide it forward and backwards, but I haven't taken the console off yet to see where it's located in the slots. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything is possible.. Take it apart and test it out. Take pics and post back if it doesn't.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Teching In

did you keep your stock one??

put it back and see waht hapen

is to easy and you can do the job
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

He didn't have the stock one when I bought it. I'll try adjusting it I guess and see how it comes out. My friend has a M6 Z28 so maybe I'll try swapping shifters with him and see if that works too. I was just going to see if it was even possible. I wasn't sure if it was or not. Thanks for the responses
Old 03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Well, I took everything apart to check it out today. The slotted holes in the shifter plate had washers that was fit to the slotted hole so I turned those around and slid it back quite a bit and the shifter location is so much better. Before my fingers would hit the AC ***** but now I have at least 3 or 4 inches when in 3rd gear. I drove it around for a little bit and it didn't pop out of gear, but it was a very intermittent problem so I'll see if it comes back at all. I hope not.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's probably the Stops not adjusted correctly..check them..

Quick Reply: 2nd gear issue.