Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

monster and tick....strange issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default monster and tick....strange issue

advance apology for the long post.

i recently had my 99 TA converted from automatic to manual (tick level 2 trans, monster stage 3, tick master, tunnel mount torque arm relocation and umi full length adjustable torque arm) and i have a strange problem. when i let off the throttle, regardless of speed, i feel a mild popping from the front of the console - almost right under the stereo. It occurs in evenly spaced groups of three or four pops and does not vary with rpm but seems to vary slightly with vehicle speed.

this popping is something that i can feel more than hear and it feels like medium sized rocks jumping up and hitting the bottom of the car. i do not feel a corresponding vibration in the shifter.

also, i can hear a faint whirring noise when i let the clutch out with the trans in neutral, is this normal?

additionally, when the car is in first at parking lot speeds and i goose the throttle the car jerks like it does when you try to get into gear without giving it enough gas.

...i have no idea what is going on? is all of this normal? this is my first standard shift car, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SS101; 04-05-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

bumping for monday, isnt there anyone who knows what any of this is?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

recheck the torque arm harware to make sure its all tight. tunnel mount torque arms make more noise but it could be loose hardware.

the whirring noise may just be the gears spinning in the trans, id say its normal unless its very loud.

and the jerking in first gear is normal if you step on it and let off...there is no slip in a maual driveline so when you step on it the engine torques the driveline one way and when you let off the drive wheels torque it the other way. an automatic trans is a fluid coupling, not a mecahnical coupling, so ther is more forgiveness with them.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have that same problem. It is much more pronounced on the highway though. I still have not figured out what is causing this.. I wonder if its the torque arm bushing.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh and he has a full length torque arm with the relocation kit. Like i do, not a tunnel mount arm