Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bushing woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pilot bushing woes

Well here's some background. Car is a 30th T/A. T56 rebuilt maybe 4k ago (stage2 stuff and bearings). Has a Spec 4 clutch in it with shim and a 13lb Spec flywheel. New hydraulics when transmission was rebuilt. Killed a pilot bushing about 2k into that 4k. Input shaft appeared to have some bend. So that was replaced along with the front bearing again. Now here I am again facing the same exact issue only 2k later. Here is what my bushing looks like.

Trying to find out what could be causing this mess. Everything was within spec when the tranny was rebuilt (preload,endplay). Is it just launching at almost 6k beating this thing up and I should switch to the roller bearing (just installed one today while I wait for the clutch)? Should also be noted i did NOT change the tailshaft bushing. Could too play on the driveshaft be my issue here? There is only the slightest bit of play there and truthfully i can feel this on most of the cars I work on. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
Attached Thumbnails Pilot bushing woes-2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

I just dropped my trans and my pilot looked just like yours I am in the process of changing the input shaft and the front bearing. Even at the high rpm dumps I can't see it going out after 2,000 miles. Something is outta wack in the trans to be chewing up the bearing that fast.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Well nothing was found to be wrong EXCEPT I am missing a transmission dowel pin. That is def a potential cause for this. Only 1 dowel was in the transmission. Both block to bell ones are there.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run a roller pilot bearing in mine, and I have launched 7500 plus A LOT.