Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56, LT1, Hard to get in gear/pop out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56, LT1, Hard to get in gear/pop out.

1995 z28 T56, 120,XXX miles.

1st gear is hard to get into when I'm stopped. Not too sure how much it happens, but it doesn't happen every time. I can usually get it in by shifting into second, then pushing forward pretty hard. It feels like it is hitting something.

My second gear pops out occasionally. It happens when I shift into 2nd and not give it any throttle for a few seconds, then when I give it gas it will pop out. When it pops out, it feels like it doesn't go all the way back to neutral. If I try to push it back into gear, it will grind. I have to shift into neutral, and put it back. After the gear has been in for a little bit under power, it won't pop out. I recently installed the stock Hurst shifter that came with some LS1s, and I still had the same problem, albeit less often.

I'm wondering what could be wrong, and how I can diagnose it. Also, should I fix soon before it breaks completely, to avoid damaging other parts? Sorry if I missed any threads with this, I tried to search.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Your 1-2 synchro assembly needs to be replaced. You might even need a new 2nd gear. There has been a re-design of that gear, with longer engagement teeth. Since yours is an LT1, it has the old style for sure. At any rate, its time for a rebuild.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When a T56 pops out of gear, it's because it wasn't all the way in gear to start with. Most of the time it's worn or broken shift-fork pads. Plan on getting a full set of bronze pads and arrange a rebuild. (Don't order any parts until it's taken apart and inspected)
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick replies. Can I drive it until it gets hard to stay/get in gear, then rebuild, or should I do it asap to prevent damage to other parts?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Neumann
Thanks for the quick replies. Can I drive it until it gets hard to stay/get in gear, then rebuild, or should I do it asap to prevent damage to other parts?
Anytime you grind the gears, you're causing additional damage to the trans.. It may already be too late, you won't know until you have it taken apart.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Anytime you grind the gears, you're causing additional damage to the trans.. It may already be too late, you won't know until you have it taken apart.
Agreed. The sooner you get it fixed, the better.

Quick Reply: T56, LT1, Hard to get in gear/pop out.