Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch still spongy after bleeding.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 Clutch still spongy after bleeding.

For the past few months the clutch fluid in my car has been black and full of crud/air. My friend and I decided to bleed out the fluid and air stuck in the system. I had him pump the clutch 15 times and hold it down, while I got under the car and cracked the bleeder valve for 5 seconds or so before retightening. We repeated this process about 13 times, until the fluid was pretty clear.

Before we did this the clutch was spongy 80% of the time, and engagement point was always near the floor 80% of the time. (LS7 clutch)

After we bled it I immediately noticed a difference, the clutch was still spongy at times but would engage closer to the midway point of release. But sometimes it will still engage close to the floor, while not engaging as crappy or as close to the floor as it used to, it still doesn't feel quite right.

The slave in the car was replaced about 30,000 miles ago, so it should still be in good shape. Is it possible that there is still air in the system even though we bled most of the old fluid out?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Anyone? It is now engaging like it used to... off the floor and doesn't engage smoothly. Clutch fluid is still clear. I hate driving this car when it's like this.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Get a mitty vac or some other type of vacuum bleeder. Yes there could still be air in there. For some reason, GM's are a pain to bleed successfully without a mitty vac or similar.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Bled it twice with a mity vac, pedal is still soft (sometimes) and engage point is still on the floor.

Car has GM slave cylinder put in car 25,000 miles ago, stock master cylinder with 124,000 miles on it. I guess that means replace the master right? I found an 02 master cylinder with the drill mod done for $85 shipped, sound like a good deal?

thanks

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch still spongy after bleeding.