Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 grinds entering first downshift impossible

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 grinds entering first downshift impossible

Ok well I recently got a 98 formula m6 and shifting into first after coming to a stop sometimes grinds and then will finally go into gear. That's not the bad thing though I can handle that. However downshifting into first is impossible and when rolling to a stop sign or a light downshifting to first won't happen then after stopping I have to ease it into first as it grinds and synchronizes or whatever. What do you think causes this? Searched around but not a lot ond first gear grinding. Typed this on my phone so sorry for the mistakes. Thanks in advance.

-Will
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like your 1st gear synchros are a little sketchy and their not doing their job of engaging 1st,but i havent heard much on just the 1st synchros going out on these trans.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very difficult to just put it in first with a normal shift when rolling to a stop, and I would not force it. This is the way my car has been since new, and a lot of other cars are the same way.

However, if you double clutch into first, it will go right in.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Ya thats what I thought, cant find anything on just first gear not working. I have tried double clutching too but will try again to make sure. Even after coming to a stop it still will grind some before it goes in sometimes. So should I just try to avoid downshifting into first then? Cause thats a huge inconvinience. About to change the fluid to Penzoil Syncromesh so maybe that will help some.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Just wondering if you try to rev match the engine speed while downshifting? I had an old cantankerous truck, the only way to downshift was to rev it up to get her in gear when downshifting. (I belive it is the proper way to downshift no matter how new or what brand the trans is.) Very fun, now that I sit here thinking about it, plenty of double clutching required also.

Off topic, but it was a three speed plus granny gear in the normal first gear position. I just know when I get the T-56 in my car, I am going to automatically (without thinking about it) go for second gear to start out. lol
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Its probably the synchros going out. In a few different cars with this issue, at a stop I would go into another gear first, then go into first gear. Basically using the other gear's synchro to stop the internals, then go into first without needing the possibly bad synchro.

In my old ranger the gears would bang/grind pretty hard going into first or reverse from a stop, so I did that method I mentioned and seemed to work good. Just pop it in 3rd for a split second, then first or reverse. Not the proper fix, but beats grinding em.

Quick Reply: T56 grinds entering first downshift impossible