Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

97 WS6 clutch bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 WS6 clutch bleeding

And before i get started, the search feature was used extensively and will good success.

I will make it short and sweet. Got the car that didnt run, new shortblock, clutch and etc. Clutch hydraulics stayed the same. Well it released low and didnt fully disengage. Bled it over and over using the "pump the slave" method and it worked a little. It was driveable just hard to get into first sometimes and reverse all the time. SO then it started creeping will the pedal all the way down until it just wanted to go and pushed threw the brakes. If you were at a light and left it in nuetral and just pushed in the clutch quick it would go into gear, just dont hold the clutch. So we replaced the slave because it was cracked and had a plastic case that flexed when the clutch was depressed. The new one was cast and had a bleeder so that was nice. Bled it and it felt good, but it still wouldnt hold pressure. So onto the master. Replaced that and couldnt get pressure, after hours of pumping the brakes no joy. Thats where the search function came in, i checked all kinds of posts for bleeding. From keep pumping the pedal, to mityvac to slave pumping.

I came to the conclusion that both were needed. After trying for hours and thousands of pumps, that the slave was bled. Then i realized that if others used the mityvac to get bubbles out that pushing clutch pedal was the exact opposite. So after about 10 pumps on the slave TONS of huge bubbles came out and we put the slave on and had good hard pedal. After that we bled the slave a couple times with the clutch pedal, and then re-pumped the piston in the slave. Now the clutch works awesome and it releases about halfway up the pedal throw and engages all 1st and Rev perfectly. Hope that helps the next person banging their head.

Last edited by IrvJr; 06-16-2010 at 12:09 PM.