Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

time for a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for a new clutch?

When I take off from a complete stop in first or in reverse the car shakes really bad when releasing the clutch. When I am moving I can shift just fine. There are no strange noises. I am assuming it is time to replace the clutch, but I wanted to ask everyone on here to see if that is my problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that something else man, not the clutch ? that what im thinking . do this, cruising at 6th gear then floor it, see it climp, it not, your clutch slip, but u say it find when it moving, I would check something else. wait for more pro people hes, im still a noob hehe.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Teching In

That slight chatter that shakes your clutch may very well be a warn clutch if its relatively old. New clutches do something similar during break-in period. Now you can still drive fine on a slipping clutch with light throttle. When you romp on it in the lower rpms in 3rd gear or higher (preferring 5th gear) see if the rpms climb and the speed sorta grunts along and tries to keep up (aka clutch slip), or when you race it and real man shift do the rpms hang? (like your burning out but your not), if so then yes its time to think about getting a new one.

Now if you still have this little issue and non of the above apply you may need a new throughout bearing/bushing. Because this keeps the input shaft from moving around. Make sure to get the one with the little pin rollers inside. The look like bearing internals.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Yeah in 3rd and higher gears it drives fine. I thought the same thing about romping on it in 6th gear, it still climbed (well as much as 6th gear normally lets you). On the way home from work tonight I ripped though the gears from a 1st gear roll, and it seemed just fine. Again the only problem is moving from a complete stop. I will put it on the lift this weekend and see if I can find anything. If anyone has any more ideas throw em my way.