Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 reassembly problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 reassembly problems

i had to replace the input shaft on my t56 to change it over from lt1 to ls1 . now when i try to put the tail section cover back on , it will go but once it does i can no longer get it to shift. shifts fine with it off. the shift linkage seems to be binding on the tail cover. has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas? thanks Tim
Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to be clear, you can use the shift rail (with a punch or something through the offset lever hole) and shift through all 6 gears and reverse, and turn the input shaft by hand and feel the output shaft turning, even under slight resistance? Does 5/6/R all move the shift rail accordingly, when those gears are selected?

Since the tail doesn't really affect the main shiftrail, I have to think that the 5/6 shift rail fell off and is binding somehow when the tail goes on...

BTW, why didn't you just swap the input shaft via the front cover? Did you rebuild the unit at the same time?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

well, when i read the instuction for disassembly i started taking it apart that way. all i took off was the tail hoising. then i decided there was no reason to go through all that , so i took the adapter plate off the front and removed the input shaft. reinstalled input shaft and adapter plate on front. then the tail section. yes it does shift through all gears, and i can turn the input shaft and watch the output shaft turn in each gear. the shift linkage bar that is attatched to the shift fork on reverse gear does not go into the hole in the tail housing, its like it stops at the edge of the hole and doesnt go in. so if i put the tail housing on it will no longer shift. is there a trick to getting it back in the hole? is it still supposed to be in 3/4 neutral when i put it together like it was for disassembly? thanks for your help by the way
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So the tailhousing is not going on all the way because the 5/6/R shift rail is not going into the receiver hole in the tail? Try shifting the trans into Reverse, then try putting the tail on. You may need to gently push on the rail with a flat blade screwdriver to get it to drop in, but having it in reverse will help.

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 09-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Teching In

i tried that once but didnt have it in reverse when i tried it so i will try that thanks again

Quick Reply: t56 reassembly problems