Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Differences in transmissions????

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Differences in transmissions????

I have a 99 T/A M6. A few months ago i pulled out the Tremec that it had in there and put in a stage 2 rebuilt trans. My buddy was under my car this week helping me out and noticed this newer trans is a Borg Warner. So what are the differences between the Tremec and Borg Warner transmissions?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Borg Warner sold/merged their transmission line to Tremec some years ago.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So internally are the any differences? Also is there a different parts/break down manual for the borg warner?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borg Warner use to build the T56 until around 97-98 and Tremec bought out their light duty transmission department. Internally, they are the same although upgrades were made over the years like the 2nd gear, type of material used to line the syncro rings and eventually the 3-4 shift fork was upgraded to a steel version.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
Borg Warner use to build the T56 until around 97-98 and Tremec bought out their light duty transmission department. Internally, they are the same although upgrades were made over the years like the 2nd gear, type of material used to line the syncro rings and eventually the 3-4 shift fork was upgraded to a steel version.
That depends on what spec tranmission we are talking about. F-bodies in general got the crap end of the stick be it shift fork pads or the forks themselves as well as inputshafts. Or even gear sets.

In general for the LS1 Fbody years of the T-56, generally all was the same, no siginifigant difference that will matter, when you blow the trans you fix and update as you go along anyways.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firemech21
So internally are the any differences? Also is there a different parts/break down manual for the borg warner?
You're asking for a comparison of a "stage 2 rebuilt trans" which is not possible to answer accurately...we have no clue what stage 2 components the stage 2 rebuilder put into it.

Quick Reply: Differences in transmissions????