Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Lockout

i just fired up my rotary/T56 conversion yesterday, the trans is an F body 99 w 40K miles. when purchased it did not have a reverse lockout assembly so i purchased one off this forum.

i was able w some effort to get it initially into reverse and backed it out of my shop. i took it for a brief drive and the clutch (a Quartermaster double disc) worked well. i was in 1st, second and third.

i was subsequently unable to engage reverse. the shifter (a GTO assembly) seems blocked from reverse. all other gears seem reachable.

there is no grinding or clutch issue.

the reverse lockout solenoid assembly is not wired currently. i do have a pigtail but haven't gotten to figuring out how to mate it to my RX7.

could the unwired lockout be my problem?

if so, what does it need to actuate?

(i have searched this section of the board)

thanks,

howard
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats the problem the lockout solenoid will only open and allow it to shift into reverse when it sees power.... which on an fbody is done with the key on and clutch in
Old 10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
...which on an fbody is done with the key on and clutch in
No, reverse lockout is controlled by a signal wire from the PCM. It engages the solenoid (thus allowing you to shift into reverse) when the vehicle is going slower than 3 mph. When the PCM sees that, it commands ground on that signal wire, completing the 12v circuit from the other wire.

OP, wiring up reverse lockout will only assist in easier shifting into reverse while moving slower than 3 mph. Otherwise, it is in its default position, which locks out reverse.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Teching In

so if the reverse lockout is not wired it locks out reverse?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Teching In

OK I just got done with a a4 to m6 swap in my 04 gto The only thing I hooked up was the speedo sensor I didnt hook up the reverse lock out or the skip shift my car goes in to all gears fine and goes in to reverse fine with no problems the reverse lock out not being hooked up will not keep the trans from going in to reverse ....
Old 10-09-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 04GTO-25
the reverse lock out not being hooked up will not keep the trans from going in to reverse ....
First of all, reverse lockout doesn't completely prevent going into reverse. It only makes it more difficult. And secondly, on an F-body, it works exactly as I described. If you don't believe me, read the GM manuals.

Quick Reply: Reverse Lockout