Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch and flywheel wear question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch and flywheel wear question

I have a thread going in the V1 CTS-V forum about a vibration that started right after I put the LS7 clutch and flywheel in. I took it back out for the third time tonight and noticed this wear on the clutch and flywheel. I'm fairly certain that I didn't use the correct "star" torque pattern. More of a triangle pattern (yea I'm definitely kicking myself now for rushing it). Although I used the correct foot pound torque sequence.

My question is did I ruin my LS7 setup or would it possibly wear even after I re-install it and torque it correctly ? It has about 520 miles since the install and it hasn't got any better since day 1. Thanks!

Other thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...stic-post.html
Attached Thumbnails LS7 clutch and flywheel wear question-img_1406.jpg   LS7 clutch and flywheel wear question-img_1407.jpg  

Last edited by ajoos; 03-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brush it off with some sand paper and it should be fine. The clutch break in process will cause spotting on its own as the flywheel and clutch surfaces mate together.

I used a permanent market and wrote the number of the bolts on the actual pressure plate so I would not get lost mid pattern. So i numbered them by the patten ahead of time so I could do the sequence without having to second guess myself
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

some emery cloth should clean the FW & PP up

....but if the FW surface was not machined flat or the FW was bolted "slightly" off flush with the crank than you would se clutch wear like that. I think the "triangle" vs "star" Tq sequence would not matter as long as the step TQ was right on each pass.

I had a McCleod billet FW new that turned out to not have the FW surfaced flat and had the same wear pattern. McLeod replaced the entire Twin clutch assembly including FW. They said the FW initially was .005 off from being perfectly flat

when you push the clutch in did you feel any slight vibration just as you applied pressure to clutch pedal for just a second before disengagement?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys. I cleaned it up and already put it back in there last weekend. I still have the previous vibrations. But I wrote 1-6 next to the bolts when torquing it all down so I wouldn't lose track and had it torqued properly.

The clutch doesn't chatter at all when engaging. Actually shifts really smooth. I get the vibrations when there is a load after 2000 RPM's.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ajoos
. I still have the previous vibrations.

. I get the vibrations when there is a load after 2000 RPM's.
ah...vibration at 2k rpm under load.

you could be grounding (exhaust hitting frame/x-member)

did you do anything that would change the DL angle?
check u joints?
were there any shims between tranny & xmember when you pulled the tranny to initially put in this clutch?

this is a driveline vibration....not a engine misfire thing, right?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
ah...vibration at 2k rpm under load.

you could be grounding (exhaust hitting frame/x-member)

did you do anything that would change the DL angle?
check u joints?
were there any shims between tranny & xmember when you pulled the tranny to initially put in this clutch?

this is a driveline vibration....not a engine misfire thing, right?
It started after just replacing the clutch and flywheel with a LS7 setup. The only thing I can think of is maybe I damaged the driveshaft carrier bearing when I removed it since I had the center section still attached to the car and dropped the front half down.

There weren't any shims when I took it out the first time. I didn't change the angle of the driveline (on purpose at least, haha).

No misfire at all. Idles very smooth and is even mostly smooth at less than half throttle when acceleration. It's really noticble at half throttle to full when accelerating.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch and flywheel wear question