Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

manual-auto-manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual-auto-manual swap

Okay, I just bought a 1998 SS and I have an interesting problem. I get to looking at the car, and things didn't add up. The car has an automatic, but the ignition switch has a release button. Also, I look under the dash, and low and behold I pull down a clutch pedal! I look under the hood and find a clutch master cylinder. Obviously my car has been converted to an automatic, but the thing is I HATE automatics. I want to go back manual, so what do I need to convert back? How hard is it to find a T56, and what should I expect to pay for one?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

It shouldn't be to hard since everything is there, but your gonna need a crossmember, the clamshell for the torque arm, the upper console and shift boot, tranny, flywheel, clutch, shifter, bellhousing, new slave cylinder, new master cylinder (replace the slave and master just to be safe), and a little rewiring probably depending on how they did the swap. I have a stock crossmember, flywheel, clamshell mount (I found this VERY hard to find for some reason), and a stock shifter laying around if I remember right.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Sweet thanks so much for the advice. I didn't think it would need all those parts to swap, but I will def be looking for them now. @ squee - would u sell me those parts u had laying around? That would help me alot.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, sure. Just shoot me a PM.