Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird sound when in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound when in gear.

I was driving the car the other day and was approaching a stop light. As I took the car out of fourth gear, it felt a little strange. When the light turned green I tried to put the car into first gear, but it was difficult. I forced it into first gear and pulled over at a near-by parking lot. Whenever I force the car into gear, it starts to make a weird noise. Its like a mix tapping and rattling noise. Not really a grinding noise. As soon as I start to drive the car, the noise goes away. When I start to accelerate a little bit, the car stutters. it stutters the kind of way it would stutter if I didnt know how to drive stick that well. Another thing I noticed is that the car does not go into reverse. Shifter does into all the gears just fine when the car is off. Clutch pedal feels normal.

Anyone have an idea as to what it can be? I changed the trans fluid today, and I still have the same problem. I checked my clutch fluid and it is dirty. Would the fluid cause this to happen? I have tried to do research but I just cant find anything similar to my problem. At this point it seems like it could be anything (clutch, pressure plate, Throwout bearing, clutch fork, etc...). I know I will probably have to drop the tranny no matter what it is, but im just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Any help is appreciated.