Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Thoughts on using Anaerobic Sealer / Gasket Maker on a t56 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thoughts on using Anaerobic Sealer / Gasket Maker on a t56 ?

Just was thinking what the general thoughts were from the guys who build these everyday.

I was getting ready to put mine together and I saw my stock pile sitting there and was thinking Man I have a lot of that... I know it will work. I used it on most of the T-5s I rebuilt and upgraded , front diffs I rebuilt of course since that's what GM recommends .

I know its some very good stuff that is recommended for these type of sealing surfaces. So just out of curiosity what do the "experts" say? why don't I see these rebuilt and upgraded units using this stuff?

Is it too messy since it takes forever to really dry? or is it because of the cost RTV does a fine job for less?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM
8 Second Club

im not an expert but Anaerobic Sealer is all i have ever used to put mine together.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan to use it as well since I know it will work and is a great sealer to use for these but I was wondering why I don't see the re-builders using it. only thing I'm thinking is cost and if you use too much it gets very messy.. but the nice thing is that stuff wont find its way into bearings like RTV can and well DOES
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The joint needs to be designed for the sealer. The flanges can be smaller/ narrower with anaerobic but the fasteners are spaced closer together and generally smaller. RTV is cheaper. The best sealer for a T56 is RTV because the joint/ flange was designed for it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anaerobic is what my trans. had when it returned from the builder.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Thats what mine had from the builder and what i put mine back together with
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Just my thoughts would to use the gray general motors sealant (gms). That red stuff your talking about is the reason way northstar halfblocks always leaked and front diffs on c/k trucks. If i remember right gms is now what the northstars call for since that anaerobic stuff failed. Just a thought. I looked threw gm service doc's and alldata neither showed anything specs for sealant in a t56.
here was a tread i remember about this subject.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...alant-t56.html

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

DO NOT use anaerobic!!! Every time I tear down a tranny with this type of sealant, I want to punch the person in the face who put it on there. It's a major pain in the *** to clean off. It hardens in the absence of oxygen, so it has this hard plastic-like consistency.
Also, any type of Ultra Gray or any hard RTV like that is not good to use. It might work great on a motor, etc... but it will make it nearly impossible to get the tailshaft housing off later on down the road. Just about any other type of RTV works fine and comes apart/cleans up easily when the tranny has to be opened up again.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDP
DO NOT use anaerobic!!! Every time I tear down a tranny with this type of sealant, I want to punch the person in the face who put it on there. It's a major pain in the *** to clean off. It hardens in the absence of oxygen, so it has this hard plastic-like consistency.
Also, any type of Ultra Gray or any hard RTV like that is not good to use. It might work great on a motor, etc... but it will make it nearly impossible to get the tailshaft housing off later on down the road. Just about any other type of RTV works fine and comes apart/cleans up easily when the tranny has to be opened up again.
LIke i posted above mine had it from the builder and i put it back on it. i ddint think it was hard to clean off at all.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
Just my thoughts would to use the gray general motors sealant (gms). That red stuff your talking about is the reason way northstar halfblocks always leaked and front diffs on c/k trucks. If i remember right gms is now what the northstars call for since that anaerobic stuff failed. Just a thought. I looked threw gm service doc's and alldata neither showed anything specs for sealant in a t56.
here was a tread i remember about this subject.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...alant-t56.html

In all the years I have never seen a front diff leak from the sealer just the axle seals and the old vent
Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by twin74s
LIke i posted above mine had it from the builder and i put it back on it. i ddint think it was hard to clean off at all.
There are several different types/brands of anaerobic. Also, it has an expiration date, just like loc-tite. Once it gets old, it won't cure properly. This could be why yours was so easy to scrape off. Normally it's not supposed to be like that.

The Tremec 3550/TKO 5-speed trannys all come from the factory with anaerobic, and that is what Tremec calls for on these particular trannys. Every one of these that I have done has been a real pain to clean off. I usually have to use a razor blade to get under it and scrape off. Then I go back over it with a wire brush wheel on a die grinder. It takes about 5x longer to clean off.
When I go back together with these trannys, I just use regular RTV (ultra black or ultra blue) and it works fine. The only reason that I can think of for using anaerobic from the factory is that the case pieces can sit out for a very long time before they are assembled, since it cures only with the absence of oxygen. So most likely, it makes the assembly process easier or quicker at the factory. I've talked about this with other transmission builders, and we generally agree on this subject.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP
Is that the stuff that oozes out like red strawberry jam? I did a couple with that crap. People try way too hard to spend money to get that edge that isn't an improvement at all.

Black ultra RTV here.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmd
Is that the stuff that oozes out like red strawberry jam? I did a couple with that crap. People try way too hard to spend money to get that edge that isn't an improvement at all.

Black ultra RTV here.
Yeah thats the stuff...I think it smells good.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmd
Yes, so true! The un-cured portion of it squeezes out and stays in a gel-like form.

Originally Posted by twin74s
Yeah thats the stuff...I think it smells good.
LMAO!!! I was just about to say that. It really does smell good.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmd

Black ultra RTV here.
+1

I used Permatex Ultra Black RTV when I rebuilt my trans, no leaks.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDP
Yes, so true! The un-cured portion of it squeezes out and stays in a gel-like form.

LMAO!!! I was just about to say that. It really does smell good.
Glad someone agreed with me so i dont seem like a weirdo in here

Quick Reply: Thoughts on using Anaerobic Sealer / Gasket Maker on a t56 ?