Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bearing woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pilot Bearing woes

I have done research, and heard what others have to say...to put it simply, I am completely stumped now.

Got an 04 LS6/T56 from a CTS-V. Trans won't work with a solid axle, so I got a Beefed up Gen IV Camaro T56. The input shaft is about 1/4" longer than the original transmission, so I was told to get an LS1 Pilot bearing and that would take care of it....Part # 14061685 is the LS1 pilot bearing.

After doing some searching, these things are sold everywhere, but also in the description for this it says LS1/LS6 pilot bearing. If this is exactly what I have, how is it going to make any difference?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Teching In

For those that want to know...

Talked with a knowlegable parts guy at SDparts.com and he said that the LS6 Cranks have two rings in them for the two different types of pilot bearings to fit the different types of input shafts.

The Caddy and some SUV's use a wider and shorter input shaft, while most others use a longer and narrower input shaft. The LS6 crank has a step-tapered input so both pilot bearings fit. The LS1 pilot bearing sits further into the crank than the LS6 pilot bearing.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

You've got the correct bearing for the LS1 style T56 input. Install it and you'll be good to go

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing woes