Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch and/or Trans problems? Grinding and stiff shifts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and/or Trans problems? Grinding and stiff shifts...

Hey guys I have a few questions that maybe some sponsors or people that had experiences with these problems can help me out with.

** Just to let you know, car has a ~3k mile Spec stage 3 clutch and a 3k mile trans refreshed with Steel shift forks and Bronze pads.

To start, All of the sudden one day I decided to take out the car and pulled it out of the garage.(No problems at all previously) Once I tried to put it into first gear it would not go in at all, period(or any other gears). BUT when i shut the car off it would go into all gears smoothly and normally, just not when engine was running. After a couple of days I decided to try it again, this time it went into gears fine but when I let out the clutch, it made a grinding noise. The noise starts when the clutch is about 3/4 of the way out, or almost all the way out.
Now it will have a grinding noise stating from 1st or reverse. It almost seems as though the clutch isn't full engaging to let the the trans go into gears. For example, if I were to have the car running and put the clutch to the floor and try to put the car into gear slowly or just push the shifter up until its about to go into gear it makes a vibration and grind noise. Now, Once I get the car going, shifting into 2nd gear is stiffer than normal with a grinding noise when shifting. The weird thing is when I get the car going after 2nd gear it drives almost 100% with the exception of a slight grind noise when shifting.

** Another weird thing is if I were to put the clutch to the floor and hold first gear all the way up with the shifter, car will move forward slowly.

Any ideas guys? I just find it hard to believe that i have major problems with my clutch or trans because like I said, the problem came on out of the blue and on the dyno the other week the clutch wasn't slipping or acting up at all on the street, and still feels strong.