Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch or synchro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch or synchro?

I started having an issue with my transmission and Im not sure what do to about yet so I figured I would ask around see what comes up.

The deal is this when starting out in 1st gear it grinds a little bit for about 1-2 seconds coming from a dead stop, i have to REALLY start out slow and work the pedals for it not to grind. It goes it again shifting into 2nd and 3rd just not as much maybe a fraction of a second. after 3rd i really dont hear it grinding on shifts.

So is this the clutch or the synchronizer? I replaced the cluch(possibly the pressure plate too but cant remember) about 20k miles ago. It totally stopped working, couldnt even start the car because it didnt know it was depressed.

Like I said it shifts fine if I do very slow shifts but it really is becoming a PITA. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can baby it into gear by just waiting then I think its the syncro but you have it on multiple gears and I just dunno if multiple syncros are bad. Usually only one goes bad at at time but its a possibility.