Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noise on start up..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise on start up..

Within the last couple of weeks my car has been making sorta like a grinding scratching noise on start up, metal on metal what it sounds like, hard to explain sound. It happens right when I start up the car and it might last for 2 or 3 seconds. To me it sounds clearly something in the starter, clutch area but not sure what it is. A couple days ago I replaced the flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder and throwout. I would love to think its not the clutch since it was such a pain in the *** to change. So far my new clutch seems be work pretty well but I still have the noise on start up, but to me it sounds like a little more than just a starter, but I'm not sure...any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a video of it
Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Spacers may be wrong in the clutch or throwout bearing, or even the starter, or something freaky like a washer fallen into the wrong place, our race car was making major noise from a washer that got in between the clutch and flywheel somehow, go underneath and look around, see if anythings grinding or not lined up.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Well it looked to be the stock clutch that came out of it and I pretty much put a stock one back in it exactly how the old one was. Only thing i didn't change during the clutch job is the pilot bearing and master cylinder all the rest is brand new, with nearly the exact same sound. Could it be the clutch not fully disengaging on start up? But like i said the clutch seems to work well.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

I'm starting to believe its a clutch problem...like I said It makes a loud sound on start up then when I really pay attention I can hear a little scratching when my clutch peddle is down, then when I let up no noise. Same sound with new and old clutch, new slave cylinder, do yall think it could be the master cylinder going bad? For all I know its never been replaced and I have a 98 with a lil over 100k miles.

Quick Reply: Noise on start up..