Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch didnt hold. Need recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LS7 clutch didnt hold. Need recomendations

Just went FI, we were tuning on the Dyno and my fairly new LS7 clutch is breaking loose at 500lbs TQ @ 5300 rpm.
To prep for the maggie I put a Moser 12 bolt, rebuilt the
T56 & an entire LS7 clutch system ( ls2 flywheel master/slave) only 5,000 miles ago. Yes .. I hit it pretty hard since then but no more than any of us maniacs. This is my DD and it see's at least one 2nd & 3RD WOT a day.
I need recomendations for a new clucth. I'm thinking Monster 12" stage 3 because I dont want to get into the stage 2 and find an issue in a few months ( 5,000 miles). What do you recomend. Can I keep my master/ slave etc. Is it smooth for DD.
FYI: should only see about 550rwhp/ 525tq
Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS7 is a great clutch for a stock to medium cammed car & starts to slip once you hit the 400whp mark with aggressive driving & hard launches. You really need a dual friction style clutch setup( stage 2 or 3) minimum. I will be upgrading my clutch next year to a dual friction as I have felt (& smelled) some clutch slip. I have heard a stg3 isnt as street friendly, much harder pedal feel & take some getting used to.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've a stage 2 monster and i love it. Mine is only bolt on's though. For your power level I'd suggest stage 3.

As for the master and slave, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
The LS7 is a great clutch for a stock to medium cammed car & starts to slip once you hit the 400whp mark with aggressive driving & hard launches. You really need a dual friction style clutch setup( stage 2 or 3) minimum. I will be upgrading my clutch next year to a dual friction as I have felt (& smelled) some clutch slip. I have heard a stg3 isnt as street friendly, much harder pedal feel & take some getting used to.
Monster Level 3 is street friendly, and if you think it's a hard clutch, try driving a truck. Any clutch I have ever tried in these cars is not bad at all... Seriously I want pedal feel, not something that takes 1 lb to push down and I dont know where it's engaging.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are on the right track going with the Level 3 with power level and it'll give you room to grow should you decide to turn up the boost. Lashway Motorsports or Tick Performance are both running $100 off specials currently. Feel free to call me with any questions you may have. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch didnt hold. Need recomendations