Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter cup contacting t56 housing (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shifter cup contacting t56 housing (pic inside)

I had my t56 rebuilt a year ago, and have had the shifter off 5 or 6 times since to change fluid or swap shifters or whatnot. I would always find tiny little specs of metal particles under there, and today I finally figured out where they were coming from. when I'm in 1st and 2nd it looks like the bottom of the cup is scraping against the housing:

of course I discover this a week after my warranty on it ended, otherwise I'd make them go through it just because I could

would it be worth removing the cup and rounding the bottom edge of it off to stop more particles from getting scraped off? I've changed the fluid 3 or so times and never had any in the fluid, so I guess it maybe just sits up top there under the shifter but I don't like the thought of particles anywhere in my transmission
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I'd keep looking for the source of your metal.. Those few scrapes wouldn't be a problem IMHO...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

the picture doesn't really show it too clearly but they do extend further back and are deeper than they look, I figured since the scrapes looked fresh and the shavings were directly under it that was my source

I think I'll just keep changing the fluid regularly, it shifts perfectly so I can't see tearing the whole thing apart right now. it really is a minimal amount of shavings, could it be from just grinding a gear once in a while or something? I've only had it happen a handful of times before I did the Tick
Old 09-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned

Take it off, grind down the part of the selector hitting and reinstall it.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesource
Take it off, grind down the part of the selector hitting and reinstall it.
that's the plan, thanks

Quick Reply: shifter cup contacting t56 housing (pic inside)