Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 Clutch Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Clutch Replacement Issues

OK I am not sure where to start and dont want to ramble on so I will break this down in to two sections'

1) I ordered Spec 2+ clutch and when it came in it had a new slave and master with it. Well we put the clutch in and have not been able to get it to disengage since (see part 2). I put in the new slave that came with the kit and figured I could put the new master on at any time so I didnt worry about it. Well after a while of trouble shooting with the clutch we decided to replace the master. When I looked at the master I realized it was not for a C5 and most likely an f body. I called the distributor and they sent the master and slave to me accidentally and I was not charged for them. My question to you all is, is there a difference mechanically between an f body and vette slave cylinder? Could my combination of C5 master and likely f body slave cause the clutch to not disengage?

2) So picking up from part one I installed the new clutch, slave and pilot bearing. I had bought a new flywheel with my last spec clutch about 45K miles ago so I sent it off to a machine shop to get resurfaced via blanchard grinding. I installed the resurfaced flywheel with everything else listed and the clutch would not disengage. We ripped it apart again to inspect everything and put it back together, again no clutch disengagement. Turns out the machine shop took .050 from the flywheel which was way to much according to spec who recommends no more than .015. I didnt like the customer service I got from spec so I didnt want to buy another flywheel. Instead we fabbed up a second shim to place behind the slave from .050 steel to make up for the material taken from the flywheel. Again it didnt disengage. Throughout the entire process we have been bleeding the system. When we are bleeding it we continue to see small bubbles coming out of the fill reservoir. We have bled for many hours and used a few bottles of brake fluid if you combine all the times we have done it during this process. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the clutch will not disengage? Could it simply be that we just need more bleeding? Master slave compatibility? My friends and I are worn out by this project. We have been ripping it apart since July on nights after work and the available weekends. Really could use some outside the box thinking and fresh ideas.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The f-body, c5 and gto slave are all the same, just different fittings. Did you use a shim behind the slave cylinder as well?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I figured they were the same, we even matched up part numbers before we put it on but wanted verification. We swapped out the fittings to the new one as well. Yes I used the supplied shim since the initial install.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

No thoughts from anyone? Dang I am so sick of tearing this thing down and getting no where.

Quick Reply: C5 Clutch Replacement Issues