Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifting problems.. probably clutch related

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting problems.. probably clutch related

so i can't seem to shift my 1999 z28 fast at all. i'm thinking the clutch is not disengaging fully. i've done the "drill mod" and under normal driving the car is fine, shifts fine, no problems with reverse, or first.. but i can't shift it fast, let alone power shift. the car currently has a center force dual friction clutch. i've changed master cylinders, and bled the hell out of it, over and over. most of the guys i've seen seem to be locked out of 3rd at high rpm, but second gear problem too. the pedal does have a little free play in it.

i know the problem is not my driving, because i could rip the **** out of gears in both of my other m6 ls1 cars i've had, as well as every other one i've driven.

i guess my question is, where do i go from here, do i try shimming the throwout bearing, or buying a tick adjustable master cylinder (300 dollars) i know some spec clutches require shimming, but i haven't found anything about centerforce
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change to an adjustable master. i have the same problem. its hard to explain the situation but its almost like there is something holding it from changing. i just force through it but im sure its ******* my tranny hard. lol the tick adjustable pushes much more fluid than stock and has a more aggressive work-load .
Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like the clutch isn't fully disengaging, a way to test that is to rev the car up in 1st on a level surface with the clutch pedal fully depressed andsee if the car creeps forward. If it moves, then you're definitely shortening the life of the synchros in your tranny. You mention the pedal having a little free play in it, so I'd ensure that it is fully bled first. If that doesn't fix it then a Tick is the easiest fix, besides buying a new clutch or shimming that one.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely sounds like you'd benefit from upgrading to our Adjustable Master Cylinder. A good read on it is here: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html

...and you can check out some pretty awesome videos of guys shifting with our kit on our website, here: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/

Quick Reply: shifting problems.. probably clutch related